• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 yes or no questions

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
1. If, when I turn over the igntion, I get fuel spurting out the Schrader valve when I hold it open, that means the fuel pump is working and holding pressure...yes or no

2. To test for spark, I can leave the plugs in, disconnect one wire at a time, hold a screwdriver about 1/4 inch from the top of the plug and watch for current to jump from the plug to the screwdriver. If there is current jumping, then I have spark on that cylinder...yes or no

Thanks!

Cottontail said:
1. If, when I turn over the igntion, I get fuel spurting out the Schrader valve when I hold it open, that means the fuel pump is working and holding pressure...yes or no

2. To test for spark, I can leave the plugs in, disconnect one wire at a time, hold a screwdriver about 1/4 inch from the top of the plug and watch for current to jump from the plug to the screwdriver. If there is current jumping, then I have spark on that cylinder...yes or no

Thanks!

1.) dont know but I'm going with yes.
2.) Definate YES.

1) Yes, but no way of telling exactly how much without a test gage (which screws onto the valve. You can use the gage for a pressure check, and there's usually a "release" button that allows you to do a volume check. Drain into a known volume and time it.) Find one for $30-40.

2) Yes. Those little lawnmower plug checkers (with the little clamp) also work nicely, and you don't have to hold them. Find them for about $5

5-90

Cottontail said:

Thanks!

1. Yes and No. It does mean your pump is pumping. It does not mean that your pump is maintaining required pressure. You need to use a pressure gage. Furthermore, pressure should remain in the line after shutting down. Again, you can only determine if it's correct by using a gage.

2. If you really mean, stick the screwdriver in the boot and hold the screwdriver shaft about 1/4" from some ground and then crank the engine and see if there's spark, then Yes.

No... fuel spurting out does not mean you have proper fuel pres even though the pump is pumping. or that you're holding fuel pres.

No... spark at the wire does not mean you have spark at the cylinder. Fouled plugs could be a problem. If your plugs are fine then the answer is yes.

Alright...wow...I never realized there were so many answers to a yes/no question.

I have detemined for point 1 that I do have a working fuel pump becuase there is fuel shooting out the schrader valve. I also know that it is keeping pressure, because if I keep the schrader valve closed and crank the engine, when I am done and I just release the valve (*not during cranking) fuel shoots out. I also know that I need to get a pressure checker to see if the fuel pressure is at 31 psi.

I have determined for point 2 that I can indeed pull the boot and put a screwdriver 1/4 inch from the boot and watch for current. The plugs are definately not fouled. How do I know that? They are brand new, and the Jeep had not run since I have replaced them.

Thanks y'all.

From your 2 questions, I am guessing that your rig won't start. Soooo.......

1) Check your CPS to see if it is bad or the wiring to it is bad.

2) You haven't told us what the info for your rig is (year, engine, trans, etc...), but it could be the ignition module.

3) If one of these isn't it, search the forum.

4) Good Luck!!!

Back