• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

diff guard

Maybe the Crane ones. A little more finished than the Blue torch units.

they are a steel alloy

from BillaVista here

Cast as a single seamless piece of chrom-moly alloy steel, this is unquestionably the strongest diff cover available. There are no seams, no welds, no heat-affected zone stress raisers - juts one piece of bulletproof chrom-moly steel.

BrettM said:
they are a steel alloy

from BillaVista here

I'll agree with him. I've already beat the hell out of my Crane cover after two wheelin trips and its amazing. The feeling of slamming it into a rock is completely different than a mild steel diff gaurd like my front one. It's very solid.

BrettM said:
you mean a company other than BTF? what's wrong with the BTF unit?

I've seen a few different ones in the vendor section of the pirate board
Nothing is wrong with the BTF, I was just looking for other options. I want the option to weld on it which I wouldn't want to do on the crane.

xjj33p3r said:
Crane covers aren't even steel, they are some kind of alloy, which is actually good, since it will disipate heat better.

?? Steels, steel, not really much difference in disipating heat and whats that got to do with anything?

Weasel said:
?? Steels, steel, not really much difference in disipating heat and whats that got to do with anything?

Less heat on moving parts is always a good thing, that's why you need lubricants. You do replace your oil every once in a while, don't you?

:rolleyes:

unless I get water in them then, no, not in the diff and I still don't see why you would need to disapate heat from a diff cover? Even if you did the difference in heat transfer coefficients between 1020 regular diff steel and 8xxx steel alloy isn't enough to gain anything.

Weasel said:
unless I get water in them then, no, not in the diff and I still don't see why you would need to disapate heat from a diff cover? Even if you did the difference in heat transfer coefficients between 1020 regular diff steel and 8xxx steel alloy isn't enough to gain anything.

I would have to agree about the cover. I would think that big cast axle housing would disapate plenty of heat alone. I really can't see how changing the material of a diff cover would make much of a difference.

Weasel said:
Although the aluminum covers do disipate heat better I would think that the difference between mild steel and a cast or forged alloy steel would be negligble

ZPD said:
Nothing is wrong with the BTF, I was just looking for other options. I want the option to weld on it which I wouldn't want to do on the crane.
That's the best reason to not have the cast cover.
Hell, since you can weld, get a pre-cut diff ring and make your own.

is that what you did on your 8.25?

Back