• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 Cherokee Cruise cable adjustment

jerrywagner

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 89 Cherokee Limited with 4.0, factory cruise control is surging when set and I looked under the hood and found a slack cable at the throttle body, could this be the cause of the problem ? can anyone tell me how to pickup the slack in the cable, thanks in advance

I´d check my vacuum canister and associated vacuum lines and the vacuum lines from the canister to the control unit. Then the control box and maybe adjust it if necessary.
There doesn't seem to be any reason for the cable to be any looser than it always was, is there?
Last tip, don't listen to me, mine has been broke for years, I was never interested enough to want to fix it.

The book says if there is any more than a 2 MPH cruise variance, the control module centering screw (under the dash, yellow box I think) needs adjusting. You are probably gonna need the book to do it.
There is also a vacuum release switch on the brake pedal, under the dash. Mine had some wiring tangled up in that area, from the last owner.
Do a search, I remember somebody posting the adjustment procedure, with pictures a couple of years ago.

Back