• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best front end locker for D44?

COXJ

NAXJA Member #989
Im building a front D44 to swap into my XJ and was looking for opinions on what locker to use. it is a trail only ring for the most part and will have hubs. i was thinking full spool for bomb proof reliability and they are very cheep. but you sacrufise steering. a detroit would work i think but they alow for slip wich may end up busting something. push buttons are out for $$$ and reliability reasons. just looking for some input so i dont regret one or the other. thanks

Will

from my research - my front d44 will get an aussielocker

tealcherokee said:
i have a full spool, drives fine, no alloys, stock u joints, no issues yet

How big are your fore arms? I find it slightly difficult to steer when on the thorttle with the lockrite up front. With a full spool, I cant imagine the steering being anywhere near easy with out hydro assist. If it works, then run it!

AARON

tealcherokee said:
i have a full spool, drives fine, no alloys, stock u joints, no issues yet
how big are your tires? where do you wheel? DO you wheel?

I don't have a front spool, but I have a front ARB which is a spool when locked. I can beat and flog my truck as hard as I want with the front open and have never broken a joint or shaft, but as soon as I lock the ARB (spool) stuff breaks if I'm not careful. Steering the locked ARB (spool) before I had hydro-assist SUCKED, even with hydro-assist it's not too great.

will be runing 37-38s and will have at lest hydro asist. i run trails in CO cuz i live here and make at leas 1 trip to moab a year in oct when the jeep is running good. so what i have heard is that a detriot will be the best option any more input?

Will

Back