• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ez locker

60thAnivrsryXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Could anyone tell me about thier experiences with the detroit ez locker. Is it good for a jeep that is a daily driver and mostly driven on the street. It will be going in a rear dana 35 with 4.56 gears and 32" tires. If anyone has any opinions on this setup I would love to hear about it. Thanks in advance.

60thAnivrsryXJ said:
Could anyone tell me about thier experiences with the detroit ez locker. Is it good for a jeep that is a daily driver and mostly driven on the street. It will be going in a rear dana 35 with 4.56 gears and 32" tires. If anyone has any opinions on this setup I would love to hear about it. Thanks in advance.

tick tick tick...

:explosion

60thAnivrsryXJ said:
Personally I'd pass on the detroit and go with a PowerTrax. In the XJ its performance is exceptional and less noisy. Plus it locks immediately unlike the detroit. I may be wrong, but if memory serves me right, they are comparable in price.

I run the PowerTrax front and rear. The rear now for 3 years and the front for 6 months. Love em on and off road. Mine are set up with 4.10, 31" on highway and 32" off highway.

advice to ditch the d-35 is well established. but, i too run powertrax no-slips front and rear and really like them. i should say i put in lockers about six years ago before i knew better(d-35). anyhow if you will be ticked off if you break on the trail, then go for a different axle. if you are poor like me and are careful with the skinny pedal, then they might last for quite a while. normal advice would be to get a stronger axle, and i agree if real hard core wheelin is in the future. once the bug bites for off-roadin, you may get more hard core than you think you will. you also have to be a little careful on the street too. sticky tires and a heavy foot may cause problems, good luck.....

Thanks guys. I expected all the anti dana 35 comments, but due to a number of factors an axle swap just isn't in the cards for me. I will definately look into if I ever go bigger (inevitable) on the tires or lift and get a chance to do more hard core offroading, but this is my daily driver right now and I barely ever have time to get offroad so I just don't think it is necessary right now.

I personally would look more torwards the Aussie lockers...they are touted as the quietest lunchbox locker out there and they are VERY quiet from what ive seen and work amazingly well. Their inexpensive too at a little over 200 bucks for each axle. I plan on the Aussie for my D30 and the powertraxx for my 8.25(only cuz aussie doesnt make one for the 27 spline 8.25).

Either way, consider an axle swap before you even think about lockers...swap in a 97+ 29 spline 8.25. Their litterally a bolt up item and usually only require a little drive shaft modification...its something that someone with limited skills and tools could do in a single saturday...your wallet and your ego will thank you later on down the road.

OR, just run a locker in the front. Some of the guys ive wheeled with have just a locker in the front and that alone makes a world of difference.

I've had an EZ Locker in both a D35 and Ford 8.8 daily driver for 8+ years. (Including 3 cross country trips, 2 towing trailers) Moderate wheeling and no problems to date.

Yes it clunks and pops. It's just part of the deal.

Yes it's cheap and reliable

Yes I'll buy it again.

I would advise against a regear until you can really afford another axle setup. Even though you wheel light/moderate it is a discomforting feeling wondering when the rear will let go.

Enjoy

Yeah Im on board with different axle first. For what you pay for in a locker, you could at least get a 27 spline C 8.25 which is better than the turdy five. Might even be able to find a 29 spline and pull it yourself for around $200. Then I would worry about the locker. If you know that it's only a matter of time before you go to a bigger axle than I would do that first rather than waste the money on a locker that may blow up and then be forced to get another axle and then a new locker. It's a tough choice when you are staring at the money and the locker but it makes sense in the long run.

I haven't had a problem out of my D35 yet. I'm only running 30's though with fractory trac-loc. I still have that uneasy feeling that GI-John mentioned, everytime I wheel it.:explosion

8.8 is in progress.:clap:

The only reason I would say no to the ez locker is the warranty ..Ive read numerous problems with trying to get it replaced..
I would go either Aussie or lockright..
I just asked Ausiie if they would price match on a lockright and her is the answer

"We would love to have another Lock Right user running an Aussie Locker. We will meet the price you have. Just order online at www.aussielocker.com and then send an email to [email protected] and tell them that Bill Cole approved a $ 223.00 special pricing on Pirate. Include your order number and we will issue you a credit to your card against what was charged and the $ 223.00 promotion pricing. We look forward to your order, and your comments on our product afterwards. Oh yes, we have thousands of Aussie Lockers in daily use in the USA over the past 2 1/2 years we have been in this market with only one warranty claim."

this price was for a D30
but Im sure they would do the same for a D35
as far as the axles and the money..
the resale for used lockers is like 85 cents on the dollar(not bad)
and resale on gears is about 50 cents
so you could get back about 60% of the investment on a D35
when you decide to upgrade

lock it up and have some fun!!!

I wouldn't spend money on a locker for that axle, especially since they are even known to break on the street with tires of that size. If anything, a locker in the front will do you more good.

Back