• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Maint Reod?

cco175ranger

NAXJA Forum User
Hey I was driving my XJ today and while I was looking down at my idiot lights the sun glared in on them and I saw one that never went on before nor do I know what it means. It said "MAINT REOD" with the MAINT on top of the REOD in the same square. I am lost on this one and can't figure it out. Does anyone know what it stands for and what it means? My setup if it helps is: 95 XJ Sport 2door 4.0L 5 Speed NP231. If ya need to know anything else let me know. Thanxs for the help guys.

Jay

It's actually reading MAIN REQD. Maintenance Required. I'm told that essentially the same as the current "Check Engine" light.

I'm weak on the "what caused it" for those models, just know what it's basically for.

If I'm wrong in what I'm told then I'm sure someone will step in an correct me.

cco175ranger said:
Hey I was driving my XJ today and while I was looking down at my idiot lights the sun glared in on them and I saw one that never went on before nor do I know what it means. It said "MAINT REOD" with the MAINT on top of the REOD in the same square. I am lost on this one and can't figure it out. Does anyone know what it stands for and what it means? My setup if it helps is: 95 XJ Sport 2door 4.0L 5 Speed NP231. If ya need to know anything else let me know. Thanxs for the help guys.

Jay
Orignally they were set to come on every 3000 miles, time to change oil and such. Problem there is no way to turn them off without buying a new timer module so most were disabled.

Renix modules had a timer that came on at around 80K so you would replace the O2 sensor.

old_man said:
Renix modules had a timer that came on at around 80K so you would replace the O2 sensor.
Closest response yet but still not quite right.

Oldman's not wrong really it's just that this feature did carry on into the later models. There's been previous debate on how long it carried on but it looks like we've got confirmation that it carried on until '95. My '91 had it and I remember someone with a '92. Either way it's the O2/emmissions reminder and if you search some on maintenance timer you should find some previous disscussion about removing it (the timer module).

K I'll check... I have over 250,000 on the XJ now and it has yet to come on. Now that I say that it will come on first thing in the morning. Well thanxs guys for the info and I'll do some more researching and see what I find.

Back