• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.5 gallon air tank mount

IMORTL

NAXJA Member #1156
for those of you who use a 2.5 gallon air tank, where did you mount it?

I am thinking of putting my QA2 and tank in the rear built into a storage area...
what I want to figure out is how do I get power to the back and air to the front locker. SHould I go through the engine bulkhead or run along the frame rails and up through the floor of the rear?

Ideas? Pictures of the set up if you installed one inside the XJ?

Ken

Here's mine. Kind of in an awkward position but plenty out of the way if you have enough lift. I have 6.5".

oba60.jpg

do you have the air or any lines running into that cabin?

where is your air source?

ken

Check out Eric's homepage... I will follow his write up shortly since it's quite good, but I'm a bit concerned that I don't have enough lift (5"). I may try his orginal location since I'm not running a rear ARB yet.

My compressor is under the hood in the stock airbox location . . .

DR

Yeah, heres a link to make it easier: http://www.ericsxj.com/oba.htm

My OBA system took a lot of time and effort to do but I definitely like the way it turned out. I originally had the tank up in the tunnel above the rear diff, which was fine for flexing but not good when coming down hard with both wheels, compressing both leaf packs. With 5" of lift you are better off putting it how I have it in the above picture. You can't tell in the picture, but it is not directly over the highest part of the diff. It is more forward closer to the pinion and that gives you plenty of clearance.

I've also made a few other changes since that write-up. I did away with the air hose couplings under the tail lights. While I never had any problems with them there, it is just too vulnerable of a spot. I now have one coupling right at the manifold and a 3/8 line of air hose running to a coupling on my front bumper. The air line to the air tank tee's off the line running to the front bumper.

I also originally used some 3/8" air hose I picked up at Harbor Freight. That stuff is junk and will not last long. Mine developed cracks and started to leak. I replaced it with the Goodyear hose that is sold at www.onboardair.com and haven't had any problems with that stuff at all.

Back