• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rotted roof...

Chancer

NAXJA Forum User
I've got holes developing in between the gutter and roof rail on both sides, as well as a hole at the top of the windscreen. Has anyone ever tried replacing these parts themselves, or should it really be a job best left to the experts?

I'm able to get hold of chunks of roof easily enough, and I thought that with careful templating and use of existing roof furniture, that most of the welds could be hidden, all except for the bits between gutter and rail. As for the windscreen area, I thought that just being careful would do there as well.

I know I'd have to remove the windscreen, and probably use magnetic clamps to get the new metal sitting flush. Also a dremel to carefully smooth everything out afterwards. I've got a 130A mig welder which should do the job - it's one size up from the hobby ones, so has a pretty smooth flow.

What sort of a gap should I leave between new and old sections?
Would leaving in a rusty inner skin be a stupid idea?
Any pointers for the windscreen bit?
Suggestions for setting the welder (low, I know!)
Is the whole thing a stupid idea?!

Back