• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Temp guage question

Bradlybob

NAXJA Forum User
I got nasty stuck the other day in a steep nose down position. When I reved the engine I noticed the temp gauge bouncing all over the place. Is this just caused by air in the system? Also my new OEM thermostat seems to act funny. The temp gauge rises normally after a cold start to thermostat opening temp and then the guage drops rapidly to the first graduation mark then slowly climbs back up to opening temp and stays there. Is this OK?

Bradlybob said:
I got nasty stuck the other day in a steep nose down position. When I reved the engine I noticed the temp gauge bouncing all over the place. Is this just caused by air in the system? Also my new OEM thermostat seems to act funny. The temp gauge rises normally after a cold start to thermostat opening temp and then the guage drops rapidly to the first graduation mark then slowly climbs back up to opening temp and stays there. Is this OK?
Check for a bad connection at the sender at the rear of the head. That's usually the cause for the gauge reading to be irratic or just show high.
Sounds like normal t stat operation to me. Pretty common for the run of the mill t stat.

K

Back