• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4-link Long arm questions

flash_gordon

NAXJA Forum User
Just a few questions for the pro's out there. I am seeing some kits with LA LCA's and keeping the UCA's in the stock location ie; Teraflex and some with longer UCA's ie; Full Traction. I am wondering what the pros and cons are for each setup? Can anyone shed some light.
Shawn

The full traction kit relocates both lower and upper control arms. maybe I read your post wrong, but I think you meant that the lower arms are moved, but not the uppers. Just wanted to clarify that the FT kit moves both the upper and lowers back to just forward of the crossmember.

The idea is that with long arms, you don't have such steep control arm angles with higher lifts. Notice that most long arm kits are for 5.5 inches and up. That's because around 4-5 inches, the control arms have a steep angle on them and make for a rough ride. I had an 87 xj with 4 inches on short arms and now I have a 99 with the FT long arm and the ride is night and day compared to the short arms. All you more experienced guys out there, correct me if i'm wrong, but that's just one of the reasons that LA kits are out there, is because of the steep angle of the control arms.

I am aware of the reason for the long arms, I am questioning the design of the teraflex vs. the full traction. The TF keeps the stock location for the UCA's while the FT moves them back by the LCA'a. My question is; why is one better then the other if at all?
Shawn

It is the general opinion that the method that TF did it is inferior. It would make your axle to all sorts of goofy things as it cycles up and down because the radius that lowers and uppers travel is different

I am personally running the TF kit with RE adjustablke uppers with Rusty's 6.5 coils. It is my personal opinion that this kit works well. yes my UCA's do limit my drop, but how much is to much. Before this setup I was running RE DB's and had so much flex that the rig felt very unstable on off camber situations. Now it is a lil better, but on road the handling is night and day. BTW my uppers and lowers are just about parrallel.

I posted this video in another post.. but here you go for another look at how the TF kit flexes the way I got it setup.
http://www.zippyvideos.com/8966011351345596/pong_tippy/

Patrick

Back