• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans adjustment

robt46

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone, my first post.(be patient) I have a 2000 Cherokee Sport and I noticed that the trans seems to slip when I first take off. But after the inital take off it seems to shift normally.Fluid level is OK. Would it just be an adjustment. This is my first Jeep so I'm not in tune with all the stuff to look for . Appreciate some advise. Thanks Robt. Opps forgot its 4.0 I6 cyl. auto.

robt46 said:
Hi everyone, my first post.(be patient) I have a 2000 Cherokee Sport and I noticed that the trans seems to slip when I first take off. But after the inital take off it seems to shift normally.Fluid level is OK. Would it just be an adjustment. This is my first Jeep so I'm not in tune with all the stuff to look for . Appreciate some advise. Thanks Robt. Opps forgot its 4.0 I6 cyl. auto.
What transmission?

The last words say "4.0 I6 cyl auto" so I'm going to go out on a very sturdy limb and say it's an AW-4. Even if the fluid is full, what condition is it? Drain and fill...repeat as needed afte driving for some time.

Yucca-Man said:
The last words say "4.0 I6 cyl auto" so I'm going to go out on a very sturdy limb and say it's an AW-4. Even if the fluid is full, what condition is it? Drain and fill...repeat as needed afte driving for some time.
Could it also be a Chrysler 907?

3 speed auto. Beyond that I'd have to check the serial # and ask. By the way , more info. It only seems to slip when first starting up after that and after coming to a stop it seems to accelerate and shift normally. Just that initial punch. I didnt think it was a band adjustment, would'nt it do that continiously through the shifts. Thanks. Robt.

langer1 said:
Could it also be a Chrysler 907?
Nope, not in an I6 XJ. The only auto used in the Cherokee with that engine was the AW-4.

It's command trac. The fluid was changed just before I bought it 2 wks ago. The original owner was a fanatic on oil and fluid changes. He gave me all his paper work. I can ask the dealer for the trans model by the serial # can call them tomarrow. I was going to take it to a tranamission shop for some advise. Thought i'd get your thoughts first. Robt. ( I'm really piddelin info at you guys, sorry!

robt46 said:
3 speed auto. Beyond that I'd have to check the serial # and ask. By the way , more info. It only seems to slip when first starting up after that and after coming to a stop it seems to accelerate and shift normally. Just that initial punch. I didnt think it was a band adjustment, would'nt it do that continiously through the shifts. Thanks. Robt.
Ah it should be a 4 speed automatic. Shifter will be 1-2, 3, (OD) N, R, Park.

I think it is 4 speed, Langer. Manual states D(drive)Normal driving Begins at a stop in 1st gear, upshifts to 2nd,3rd, and 4th. Hmmm---What you can learn when you read the directions. Hehe. Robt.

robt46 said:
I think it is 4 speed, Langer. Manual states D(drive)Normal driving Begins at a stop in 1st gear, upshifts to 2nd,3rd, and 4th. Hmmm---What you can learn when you read the directions. Hehe. Robt.
Then it can be a simple cable adjustment.

langer1 said:
Then it can be a simple cable adjustment.
ahh. well I was thinking of taking it in for an adjustment of some sort. Glad I asked for opnions. I asumed that the cable adjustment was to align the shifter to the park and so forth to the gears. I thought if it was out of adjustment it would do it whenever it shifted from a standing stop. It only does it when I first start up and after the first stop it seems to grab 1st gear and the rest of the shifts seem fine. I was thinking mabe something sticking in the valve body or something. I don't even know if this has one. Hehe its been a long time since I had any experiences with a transmission. Robt. stay tuned.

robt46 said:
ahh. well I was thinking of taking it in for an adjustment of some sort. Glad I asked for opnions. I asumed that the cable adjustment was to align the shifter to the park and so forth to the gears. I thought if it was out of adjustment it would do it whenever it shifted from a standing stop. It only does it when I first start up and after the first stop it seems to grab 1st gear and the rest of the shifts seem fine. I was thinking mabe something sticking in the valve body or something. I don't even know if this has one. Hehe its been a long time since I had any experiences with a transmission. Robt. stay tuned.
No it's a pressure control cable connected to the throttle.

Back