• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NSS Help...I'm Stuck!!

vfly172

NAXJA Forum User
My NSS is dirty and I could start my 93 XJ in any gear, and the reverse lights would not work. Well, I tried getting the NSS off the tranny, and it is stuck on there good. I tried the trick on Jeepin.com, but it stripped the threads off. Now I cannot get the jeep to run. I have sprayed the NSS with PB blaster more times than I can count. There is some play in the NSS but it is frozen on that shaft that comes off the transmission. Any one else have this problem? Thanks.

If you've already broken off the threaded section that the nut goes over, it's going to be hard to extract it whole, and you'll probably need a new switch anyway. However, it is sometimes possible to get it loose by first tapping it inward before trying to pull it outward. You might also get it to break free by tapping (not very hard) on the shaft that comes out of the transmission, rather than on the switch itself, using a plastic or brass hammer. There's a little end play in that shaft sometimes, and it only takes a tiny bit to break the corrosion. Once you have any movement at all, you win.

If the threaded part of the switch is still there, just with bad threads, try very hard not to break it, because you'll probably still be able to use it. So do not succumb to the temptation to try prying it open.

I was able to get it off, but it was broken inside. I hope that is what is wrong, and why it wont start. Time to start my journey to finding one. Thanks.

Back