• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

time for rear springs

texasxj

NAXJA Forum User
Ok guys help me out a little here. My 14 is almost ready to bolt up so its time to get serious about springs.
Vehicle-84 2 door xj
350/TH350/NP231
Front-dana 44-IP
rear axle-14ff-456s welded DBC
Tire size-35-37.
Front lift-7.5 rubi coils<-- :))) or 9" rustys <-- :-(((
Rear-shooting for 6-8"
Q=question

Original Plans-Alcan 6" + extra height for 500#(7"-load around 200??) or 8" with no weight. +Chevy lowering shackles. Reinforced hangers etc.

I want longer springs for more flex and move the axle back a hair. Dont have much room to move axle without getting rid of what is left of my fenders.
I can also take the tubs out since they have started to seperate from the fender but I dont want the fender flapping in the breeze.
I didnt measure my stock spring length so I am a little lost on orig length.
Q=What was my stock length?

Plan B-56" rear springs with an AAL or 2 and a 4" shackle flip. Like i said I want to move the axle back a hair. Reinforced hangers and shackle mount.
I would rather go this route because of cost. And springs would be ready to wheel-not so stiff as new springs.
Q=How much will the 56" springs move the axle back?-2-3"?
Q=How much "lift" will this provide?

Welding and cutting is not an issue as far as availability.

Ok so main things that I want to know is:
Has anyone done one of these setups in any way shape or form.
How far will the 56" move the axle back.
What about 52" or just have alcan make the springs a certain length with an offset center.
What length?
Tell me what is good and bad about my ideas-I dont care you wont hurt my feelings!!! to some extent!!!

I will prob have more questions as time goes on. And as far as $ goes.
THANKS for any info, suggestions, recomendations.
Pics that may help as far as fender issues and to give you and idea of what i am working with here are in album below.
http://tamor.us/members-rigs/album98?page=1

You can put the front spring hanger anywhere you want, right? Move it forward a little and use a dogleg shackle.

You will be dragging that 14 bolt all over with just 37" tires.

Dirk Pitt said:
You can put the front spring hanger anywhere you want, right? Move it forward a little and use a dogleg shackle.

You will be dragging that 14 bolt all over with just 37" tires.

essentially! I would rather be dragging my diff than dragging my roof. Im working with a 44 up front so thats my limiting factor!!! and a xj! eh ever seen a comp cut on a xj??? hmmm

texasxj said:
essentially! I would rather be dragging my diff than dragging my roof. Im working with a 44 up front so thats my limiting factor!!! and a xj! eh ever seen a comp cut on a xj??? hmmm
Yea, I've seen it, but he had a complete tuge chassis under neath.

texasxj said:
Yes I have. Why do you want a 14 bolt rear? Cost? If you have time, you can shave it and that will give you added clearance. Are you going to be using disks or keeping the drums?

edit: Heres the pic
new_0241151.jpg

I have the 14 almost ready. havent put the discs on yet but have everything.
It will get a hair or 2 shaved off.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats sweet. hmm one of these years.

well getting some 56" rears from a buddy and then chevy lowering shackles. looks like thats the plan. woohoo cheaper!!! if that doesnt make enough lift then i will probably trade the shackles for a shackle flip or throw and AAl in.

all of that work for a kick ass stroing rear end, and you are going to use chevy lowering shackles for lift?

Move your spring mounts down below the frame like if you had the Z-plates in the front. Then do a search for fulltraction and theres pics of the rear mount lowered and moved back.

This way you can get more height and less spring arch.

i looked through a bunch of threads but no pics????

I am going to remount, rebuild re etc everything as far as the hangers go. So just lower the mount an inch or so???? rather than having it tucked up to the frame?

Back