• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dynamax Exhaust

Centrevillemx

NAXJA Forum User
Looking at Cat back systems, The dynamax single exit kit for my cherokee is $90 from Summit. This seems like a really good deal ecept my dad said they were junk and would blow out baffles quick. Does any one here have this system?

I use the Dynomax "Super Turbo" muffler and really like it. I have it on a full 2.5" exhaust and it is just the right mix of sound quality and quantity. I like my mufflers as quiet as I can get them, though, so I might be biased to the quiet side.

I've had it for about 2 years, and there is no loss of sound deadening. One thing that is rarely mentioned about glass filled mufflers vs chambered units like flowmasters is that the glass packed units run MUCH cooler. This is great for me, as I like my exhaust tucked up out of the way as much as possible, meaning close to the floor. Flowmasters and Spintechs really cook the floorboards of an XJ....

CRASH

How loud are they as opposed to flow masters? My dad has flow Masters on his '49 Willys and his '70 Cutlass and they sound nice and throaty. Are they a low tone?

They are much quieter than two or three chamber flowmasters. They have a milder sound, not nearly as throaty.

Throaty, to me, sounds horrible inside the tinny confines of an XJ. Too much reverberation.

CRASH

When your junk is as slow as mine, it's pretty hard to tell. There was no difference in power between my previous 3 chamber flowmaster (which was way too loud, in my opinion) and the Dynomax, as far as I could tell.

CRASH

I love my flowmasters!!! I had them done as a custom dual exhaust set up and really love to hear the horses thunder when you mash the gas..... Remember, "Louder is Better!"

At least down in the Deep South of Florida it is!

-Jamie

i'm running the super turbo cat-back as well in addition to a catco highflow cat and a borla header and i love it. been running it about a year now and have had no problems. but if you'd rather a more throaty exhaust ( Crash i'm with you on this one ) i'd check out rustys kit for like 50 bucks or so more. basically the same kit from dynamax except it comes with a flowmaster instead.
Rockhound

I'm running the same setup as Rockhound on my 92XJ, and ran a glasspack on my old 87 MJ. They both worked well, and sounded okay

IMO, no matter what you put on it, the 4.0 just sounds like an old tractor motor.

Don't get me wrong, I love the throaty sound of a nice healthy V8, but regardless what you do,you can't get it from an inline Six.

PS although I don't mind, the super turbo is getting louder after a year.

John-Boy said:
IMO, no matter what you put on it, the 4.0 just sounds like an old tractor motor.

Don't get me wrong, I love the throaty sound of a nice healthy V8, but regardless what you do,you can't get it from an inline Six.

Absolutely correct. I happen to be from a boat-oriented background so I would have compared it to an old lobster boat rather than a tractor, but the fact remains that nothing sounds quite like a cammed V-8 with true dual exhaust -- you can't get that sound from an I-6. You might as well try to get a Honda or Suzuki sprt bike to sound like a Harley. Period, end of discussion.

The ONLY 4.0L Jeep exhaust I ever heard that came even close to sounding "throaty" was a Gibson cat-back system on a Wrangler.

Back