• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just bought a 88xj

Tre

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guy's, Im totally new to Jeeps. Its my first one. I decided to pickup this 88 off a dealer that was selling it. I knew of the potention the xj had as a decent offroad rig. And I liked the idea of building it over a YJ,CJ,TJ etc.

With that said I got a few questions. Its a 4L 5spd xj. But it has the old dummy light cluster which i can't stand. I know the 87-89 clusters with tach's fit. But question is do they work just by swapping one in? Or is there anything else i got to change? I was told that the i'll have to take out the oil dummy switch and put in the same year oil sending unit. Is that it though? Or do i need a water temp sending unit as well? OH and does the tach automatically work when you swap it in.

Any info is totally apreciated here guy's as i'm new and would like to get this first project underway :D

hey thanks for the info guy's, i tried searching before i registered and it wouldn't allow me. so after registering i got all excited and just posted.
i'll be sure to search it next time.

thanks

Back