• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Save an XJ from the MOLD

ynnhojTJ

NAXJA Forum User
There is an XJ full of mold spores throughout the interior of a friends jeep. It was sitting for about 6 months with a dead battery at his parents, and in this time collected this mess.
The XJs interior smells foul. Its on the dash, interior doors/seats/carpet/consoul/headliner.
Anyone with any type of experience (professional or non) removing this...special cleaners, shops that do the work (detailing maybe), or should everything be yanked out and replaced from another XJ.
This is an 89' XJ that is now running well. Just cant trash it...this is what his parents want him to do, but I said I would ask around first.
Suggestion???

Thanks
Johnny

If needing to replace the seats, carpet, dash, consoul...what year will be a direct bolt for this 89' 4 door auto 4.0???

Im guessing, please correct if Im wrong:
87-94 will be a direct bolt and match for everything???

His parents are suggesting getting it crushed, his dad doesnt want anyone to touch it (fear of 'getting sick')...with a mask, gloves, and some old clothes I'd tackle it.

Thanks for any and all suggestion.

Like langer1 said, that and some elbow grease. When you aren't working on it and it is sitting closed up put some "Damp Rid" inside. It will help get rid of some of the moisture that has built up inside. I have seen it at Lowe's and Home Depot. Might be worth a shot. Sure cheaper and easier than replacing the whole interior.

While you are at it, you might think about checking the floorboards for rot.

chris

Is it green or black mold? Most mold is not toxic, green mold is not. Some black mold in some parts of the country is. Wear a dust mask if you want so you don't breath the dust. If you keep it wet with soapy water it can't hurt you. It's the dust that can it a very few molds.

langer1 said:
Is it green or black mold? Most mold is not toxic, green mold is not. Some black mold in some parts of the country is. Wear a dust mask if you want so you don't breath the dust. If you keep it wet with soapy water it can't hurt you. It's the dust that can it a very few molds.

it looked green.
thanks for the info!!!! :scottm:

Do a search on Borax and mold. I´d vacuum the heck out of it, spray the whiole inside down with mold killer and wash the whole inside down with a Borax solution, I mean spray and soak everything (under the seats, behind the door panels and especially the carpet padding). People get ate up with this mold thing, there are billions of mold spores floating around in the air you breath, normally. Some people are really sensitive though. There are bunch of commercial sprays to kill em, vacuum cleaners remove them and borax helps keep them from coming back again.
Clorox can fade the materials, if the solution is to strong and really isn't very persistant (doesn't last long). But the Clorox mold spray, does a good job on black mold and others. I serviced air handlers in big buildings, the mold wars are an old advisary. Might check at a A/C and ventialtion wholesaler and see what they got. I found some neat stuff that smelled like bananas and seemed to get the job done.

I have a fair amout of experience with mold as I am a certified home inspector and also manage several large properties along the west coast. (beach=moisture, moisture =mold)The first thing is DO NOT TRY TO CLEAN THIS UP WITHOUT WEARING A MASK. You need one that meets P100 standards like this one: http://hdsupply.com/prmw95/mwus/jsp/products/productdetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&_n=false&oid=40038&coreSrc=SEARCH&searchText=129318
I know some people will say that is overkill, but trust me that due to the lack of information to the contrary it is better to be safe than risk your health. Remember that people once thought asbestos was safe. Next up DO NOT USE BLEACH. aside from the fact that it will ruin your interior, the fumes from it are also poisonous. Use something like Lysol or an anti-bacterial cleaner to clean hard surfaces. I would suggest trashing the carpet and replacing it and the padding under it. You could try steam cleaning and air drying the carpet and seats (Do not use heat to dry...heat is one of the three things needed to make mold grow along with moisture and a host material), but I would not keep the padding. Also be sure to check the rear sides of the door and liftgate panels and as 8Mud suggested get something to clean the airconditioning system and use the borax solution all over the inside of the vehicle after you clean it. You can also spread powdered borax all over the floor under the NEW padding before you put the carpet back in.

Last edited:
Like the man said, use a mask, mold never messed with me much, but the pollen that built up in filters and other places, would sometimes shut the old lungs right down. You don't want to find out the hard way, that you are allergic to the mold or the toxins it produces. Any time I work in an enclosed area, I use a mask and even then try to ventilate. Shower and change clothes afterwords, waking up in the middle of the night, with bronchial distress, because your hair is full of SDBS (super dooper bad s**t), ain't no fun.

ynnhojTJ said:
If needing to replace the seats, carpet, dash, consoul...what year will be a direct bolt for this 89' 4 door auto 4.0???

Im guessing, please correct if Im wrong:
87-94 will be a direct bolt and match for everything???

His parents are suggesting getting it crushed, his dad doesnt want anyone to touch it (fear of 'getting sick')...with a mask, gloves, and some old clothes I'd tackle it.

Thanks for any and all suggestion.
I had a 89 and it didn't have mold but I removed the seats and carpet and the pad underneath. I then used washing soap and bleach on everything and then used my pressure washer to rinse it all off. Everythings looks as good as new. However the floor maybe gone when you get the carpet out. It took a couple of days to dry in the sun though. But is the rest of the body is good there are now replacement floor anels.

JoBo

Back