• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Hatch Won't Open

duntov

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 Jeep Cherokee Classic. Last night I went to the store, threw some items in the back. When I went to get them out my hatch wouldn't open up. Any suggestions of what I need to do to get my hatch opened/fixed?

Thanks, Greg

I have the same problem with mine, if you pull in it several times it ussualy opens.

But mine's not a DD so I realy don't care too much, probably gonna do hood pins or a swing out tire carrier and gut the internals of the latch all together.

Either your hatch frame is warping or the hatch hinges have worn.

Depending as to how the hatch has shifted there are two thing that can be done.

Adjust the latch hook. Thats the hook at the bottom of the hatch opening. It takes a bit of patience to adjust it right and it shouldn't take more than 1/2 hour.
Now if the weight of the hatch is on the latch hook, that will take a lot more work. That will require either getting inside the hatch door or working shims up under the latch mechanism to raise it further into hatch body. This could take several hours.

The newer xjs have a metal rod inside the liftgate that goes from the handle on the outside and connects to the latch mechanism on the bottom and its more than likey has diconnected or slipped cog far enough to not pull the latch far enough to release.Mine was doing this and to get it open first push inward and down on your gate as you pull on the release handle,if the rod is not totally disconnected this should work to release it.If not then the rod has probably come loose altogether which is all bad with the gate closed.You cannot remove the screws that hold the inside plastic panel on to gain access to reconnect the rod.As far as I have read before you have to cut a hole in the plastic to get the gate open.Maybe there is another way,I didn't have that problem and hope yours opens for you!Good Luck!

Like described above, push above the handle with one hand, as you pull the latch handle up. I suspect your handle is probably loose. Grab it and see if there's much movement. My '98 did the same thing....

Once you get it opened, you can remove the inside plastic hatch cover and tighten down the latch and make other adjustments. There's some screws holding the cover, as well as some press-in pins holding it in place.

Worst comes to worst, you can hop in the back and partially remove the inside cover enough to reach in and operate the latch manually...

On a 2000, which I assume would have about the same hatch as your 98 I have been able to get ahold of the inner plastic covering below the window and pull it out/off the little trees/clips that hold it on there (it's very flexible). Once You've pulled it back a foot stick your hand down there and pull the rod manually to open the tailgate.

Once it's open remove the screws holding the plastic on and fix the mechanism, it's probably the rod everyone is speaking of.

Well, I was kind of a dummy. I had some tubes I tow behind the boat and the other night when I went to the store I mistakenly shut the tube cover in the latch. That is why it wouldn't open correctly. I did manage to open it my pressing down on the tailgate. Thank you for the input.

Back