• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How hot does the manifold get?

snow drifter

NAXJA Forum User
yes I've searched. I have the typical crack on my 99. Hasn't really been a problem, motor runs fine. For all I know I've been driving for 50,000 miles like this. I tried using JB weld and some other stuff, something steel. Managed to apply it perfectly, let it dry and withing 5 minutes of start up, it completely melted off! Now the Jb weld and other stuff even state on the instructions can be used for enging blocks, manifolds, with temps up to 500 degrees. Is there anything else I could use to seal it up temporarily. I know it needs to be replaced someday. and how hot does the manifold get? Thanks

Well up by the head, it can get to 1200F. Nothing short of actual welding will do anything. Not even paint unless it is special high temp paint will stay on exhaust manifolds.

snow drifter said:
Thanks old man. I guess when I get the funds I'll just replace it with a new one.
Do yourself a nice favor and get the Borla stainless steel headers. It's more than the delaer will charge you but it has a lifetime warranty and you'll get about 10 more HP. Yeah, really! (...especially if you also add their "catback" muffler/tailpipe). A little extra HP kick in the pants and you'll NEVER have to replace it again. Take it from a guy who put 250,000 miles on one in a YJ. If you ask nice, a Monro muffler shop will install it for you (like they did mine) and save you the headache.

Back