• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust skids?

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
Does anybody make an exhaust skid? Before I tore mu exhaust off I measured that it stuck down about 4 inches below the frame and since I've gotten it welded back on it's still sagging that much. Is this normal or should it be up higher? All the hangers are in place and the engine 2 cat pipe is probably about 2 yrs old at the most, the part that sits above the crossmember was dented but the pipe wasn't deformed/reshaped. My digicam's broken so I can't post a pic now, I'll try 2 find an old one.

Any one else have this problem?

yeah you cant do that with webshots

use www.imageshack.us or some other hosting site

i havn't seen any skids made by a company but i have seen some the prob with making a skid is it has to be tubular or extremly luvered to allow a lot of airflow i think your best bet is a glass pack :laugh3:

glass pack is jsut a 3" tube not much bigger than your exhaust pipe much harder to hit

bj-666 said:
glass pack is jsut a 3" tube not much bigger than your exhaust pipe much harder to hit
Flowmasters still sound better.

when i was stock i draged my exhaust around quite a bit, but since ive lifted, i havent hit it all that hard...

then again, i avent wheeled since march...

i've never had an issue but mine is really friggin loose, which is a mod few know of that helps keep it from getting ripped off

An old Hot Rod Magazine dyno test published in the 80's showed glasspaks lost power compared to quality turbo mufflers, and even some stockers. They are harder to snag. Some folks have built their own mufflers out of 3/16th material and swear they can glide over rocks with them. They wind up looking like ammo cans dragged by a tank.

Hmmm, 20MM ammo cans . . .

I like to use mine as a skid.

is.php

Zoro said:
Does anybody make an exhaust skid? Before I tore mu exhaust off I measured that it stuck down about 4 inches below the frame and since I've gotten it welded back on it's still sagging that much. Is this normal or should it be up higher? All the hangers are in place and the engine 2 cat pipe is probably about 2 yrs old at the most, the part that sits above the crossmember was dented but the pipe wasn't deformed/reshaped. My digicam's broken so I can't post a pic now, I'll try 2 find an old one.

Any one else have this problem?

If you put a skid under the exhaust you'll trap the hot air between the skid and body and somehow I think that the end result would be a crispy carpet :D

The Dynomax Bullit racing muffler is small and quiet. It sounds much better than a glass pack but is about the same size. It actually is a glass pack but has a perforated tube instead of a louvored tube. This makes it quieter and flow better. My stock muffler was beat to heck but I have yet to touch the Dynomax.

B-loose

I'm running a Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler that came with their cat back system. It's almost the same size as my old stock muffler, but in my rig it sits higher than the frame rails...

I've managed to bend my crossmember up about 1 inch on that side and even bash in the bottom of my frame rails, but I've only ever scratched the muffler. I haven't managed to bash it off a rock yet...knock on wood...

I was strallting over a small stick at about 15mph when it fell off...I tried the hush-power 2 on it and I like how it sounds and it sits up pretty high. I'd like to keep my stock muffler on because somehow I'm getting 25+mpg most of the time so the old saying comes to mind: "If it's workin don't touch it" :)

Zoro said:
I'd like to keep my stock muffler on because somehow I'm getting 25+mpg most of the time so the old saying comes to mind: "If it's workin don't touch it" :)
:shocked: How in the....?

Is it two wheel drive and/or does it have a 4 cylinder? Cuase that's beating me by a full 10 MPG!

nhrocker said:
I haven't managed to bash it off a rock yet...knock on wood...
there aint rocks big enough at the malls to do that

CaptTrev said:
yeah, if you REALLY are getting 25 MPG, i would LOVE to know your setup. . .

90 XJ, 2 door, 4.0, 5spd, 4wd, 31's, about 2-3" lift in the rear and 187k with a few new parts.

Back