• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hydro assist q's

bj-666

NAXJA Forum User
I dug into my box today to begin taping it for hydro assist just wondering how everyone cleaned the shavings out of the lower hole the upper one is pretty self explanitory but the lower hole seems to run thru a cavity that is part of the casting that i can't seem to find access to to clean. any hints as to how to do this how much does the box actually have to come apart?
download.php

download.php

pull the 4 bolts out of the top cap (don't undo the center adjuster), pull the big retaining ring off the end, I think there is a snap ring down by the pitman arm, and then unscrew the 2 pieces where the steering shaft enters the box.

I cleaned the ports out with nearly a whole can of brake cleaner with the straw/sprayer on it, I have no doubt that it was completely clean.

Okie Terry said:
Can you get a pen magnet into the hole?
yes, and that's how I cleaned out the bulk of the metal, but I definitely couldn't get it all.

JP magazine did a writeup for tapping a box and didn't tear it down, they put some thick grease on the tap to try and catch shavings and then used a magnet. I think this is a terrible idea. It really isn't hard to tear the box down, do it right.

How did ya pop the end cap off? The one with the round snap ring. I have the box apart. the ring is out but the end is hard to get out, any pointers?

edit: That better for ya Okie?

Last edited:
bj-666 said:
how did ya pop the end cap off the one with the round snap ring i have the box apart except for this the ring is out but the end is hard to get out any pointers
Puleeeez use punctuation!

bj-666 said:
How did ya pop the end cap off? The one with the round snap ring. I have the box apart. the ring is out but the end is hard to get out, any pointers?

edit: That better for ya Okie?
turn the input shaft fully one direction (forget which) and it pushes it right out

Back