• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear hatch seal - replace?

mhead

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting dust entry into my '92 XJ 4-door. I intend to replace the hatch seal with a new one from the dealer ($69.93 p/n 55175354AE).

Anyone done this job? Is it difficult to get the new seal on? Any gluing or other unexpected bumps in the road? Does a new one correct the dust problem? Any alternates to the dealer part?

Thanx!

I've never done it either -- but have come pretty close several times.

But at $70 bucks :shocked: , I may never do it --at least not with a new gasket.

You will have to remove the surrounding plastic trim pieces.

There is some kind of weak/non-hardening adhesive that is used to aid the retention(in addition to friction) of the gasket.

If your gasket is in good shape, you may just want to shim it out(with cord?) so that it makes good contact with the hatch.

Lou said:
But at $70 bucks :shocked: , I may never do it --at least not with a new gasket.

You will have to remove the surrounding plastic trim pieces.

There is some kind of weak/non-hardening adhesive that is used to aid the retention(in addition to friction) of the gasket.

If your gasket is in good shape, you may just want to shim it out(with cord?) so that it makes good contact with the hatch.

You get what you pay for when it comes to gaskets. Custom designed and fit parts like that only can be had OEM. If I was having leaks in the hatch area, I would spring for the real deal. Then again, I am picky about my vehicles working "right".

The adhesive you will want to use to attach the new weatherstrip (aka "gasket") is 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive. Any decent parts house that sells to body shops should have this stuff.

If you have a parts yard close, search there for one in better shape... I picked one up for like $3 at Pull-n-Save in Denver and was in like new condition. It is worth a shot to save $60 (IMO that is).

-Kevin
cyberbackpacker

Try JCWhittney, they sell gasket kits and pieces and are usually cheaper then the dealer. I've used several of the kits and have been happy with them.

Back