• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wet D35 on '99 - cause?

DaveD912

NAXJA Forum User
I need some quick help. I just looked at a '99 XJ with a Dana 35 rear. The diff is freshly wet and it looks like it could be leaking out where the axle shaft is. How big/expensive a fix could this be? Also, the Jeep has sat for almost a year. Besides this, the it's a nice looking XJ.

Thanks,
Dave

It's about $300-500 to replace the D35 with something stronger. That oil is coming out of the flexed housing...

Not to question your rear-end, but my 99 has a Chry. 8.25 and my understanding is that was standard. Are you sure it is a 35?

Yeah, some came with the D35, imparticular if it has ABS. Some had it even if it didn't have ABS.

steveareno said:
Not to question your rear-end, but my 99 has a Chry. 8.25 and my understanding is that was standard. Are you sure it is a 35?
bsr26 said:
Yeah, some came with the D35, imparticular if it has ABS. Some had it even if it didn't have ABS.
In an effort to head off the SPOBI before it gets too deep, the C8.25 was used from '91 on in the XJ. From 84-91, the D35 rear was used on everything except the rare D44-equipped 87-89 XJs. Therefore, during those first seven years of production the D35 could have ABS or not. After the C8.25" was intro'd to the XJ in 1991, those axles did not have ABS while the D35s did. Occasionally there is someone on here who reports that their post-91 D35 doesn't have ABS or that their C8.25 does, but they always seem to fail to post pics or properly ID the axle.

DaveD912 said:
I need some quick help. I just looked at a '99 XJ with a Dana 35 rear. The diff is freshly wet and it looks like it could be leaking out where the axle shaft is. How big/expensive a fix could this be? Also, the Jeep has sat for almost a year. Besides this, the it's a nice looking XJ.

Thanks,
Dave
Is it wet on the tube to pumpkin or on the axle to the tube (the latter is located on the drum side).
If the latter, then it's the axle shaft seal. To replace that you have to pull the axle shaft which means: jack up the rear, pop the cover, remove the cclip, remove the axle shaft (after removing the wheel and drum) and then there is the bearing/seal to pull (I don't remember how the bearing sits in the cclip axle, but it wasn't to hard to deal with from as little I remember)

Thanks for the responses. Yes, it was the D35 on '99 Limited with ABS. It was leaking from the pinion seal - badly. I went back again and he showed me records that it had diff trouble around 60k (80k on it now). I'm going to pass on this one and keep looking. I'd prefer the 8.25 anyway.

Back