• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Focus, Focus, Focus!

Bent

Only Marble Sharp
NAXJA Member
Let me tell you, there is nothing that will perk my ears quite like having my wife say,"Let's go up to Big Bear for a couple of days". These were her very words Fri. the 4th while at our eldest Son's for a BBQ. Mind you, my reply was what you would expect from any rational individual with virgin powder coat on his newly installed two year old rock rails(yes they're on). We'd better head home to get an early start!
Usually a two day trip up the hill means nearly one full day of wheeling. Well the plan was to hit gold Mtn. around 4pm of the first day. I needed to get some action pics WITH ETHAN AT THE WHEEL, for the benifit of some of our directionaly challanged members.LOL! No really. That WAS the plan. We ended up meeting up with Richard & Cheryl(eldest son and his girl friend) for dinner. 7pm was a bit late for a trail,spent about an hour or so in the village before heading back to the room.
The bright side? "Magic Mtn."was a 5min. walk away. I don't know if too many of you are familliar with the Alpine Slides they have there. Ethan and I try to get a couple of runs down the hill every time we are in the area. But Hey, we've never rode them at night.
With two runs under our belts I'm ready to go. But no. The wife(Norma) suggests one more for the road. OK. Third time is a charm don't ya know. I'n not bragging but this was one of the fastest runs I can recall. Every thing was great, the sled was fast, I was crouched low, transitions at the banked corners was smooth. I decided to keep things wide open clear into the last turn. BAD, bad,bad move! I'm not sure quite how but I raised my center of gravity and started to lean out of the corner. Momentun and a steeply banked curve can only do so much. The laws of physics are, err, well they're LAWS.
The next thing I know is that I'm slumped ower the edge of the track and I feel burning at all four corners and then some. But I like wearing shorts and a T shirt! I mean at least I had boots on. It's funny though, you would think that you could smell your skin melting off your knees,legs,arms and elbows. Must be that fresh pine air. I didn't smell a thing. Wait there's more, try to move to stand up so you can see your wife laughing with hysterical concern.
My macho pride convinced the manager there that I was fine. I looked it too, takes awhile for louge rash to start bleeding. By the time we hobbled back to the room I had discovered that a wrist, an elbow and an asortment of ribs were also victims.
The next morning after being hoisted out of bed with a sky hook, I had to admit that if I could not bend down to air down, I couldn't get the sway links disconnected. I did not belong on the trail. But Hey, a week or two and I'll be good as new.

Deep Creek Anyone? :wstupid:

PS. FRICTION: It's not just bad for your engine!

Wow, I've gotten road rash from a motorcycle, but never a sled! Good times!

Did you crack the ribs, or just bruise them? Remember, it only hurts when you laugh. Or talk. Or breathe. :D

Get well soon!

youch.......... hope you get better soon, but I think my theory holds true (and Ethan will probably nod his had at this one LOL): the more you're getting into it... the less you're willing to let Ethan drive LOL......

Anyways... duct tape them ribs and we'll hit the trail either on 20th or 27th :D

Kejtar
P.S. I'm never lost.... I'm just sometimes slightly disoriented...

Bummer for Ethan...ummmm & you Tim

T-Bent
First off let me say I hope your OK ! BUT !! I HAD to snicker abit reading the post... LOL !!!!!!!!!! Not that I want to see you or anyone else get rashed up... but I still snickered (just alittle).
I feel sorry for Ethan.... no wheel time.... Sorry Ethan.....
Hope you heal soon T-Bent......
See Ya ! (snicker...snicker..)
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

I've never been inside the head of a Jeep before! Especially one that's lost on the streets of Bakersfield. Can't be all that much different than a Triumph. Except maybe you can't sit on the front tires while you work.
I can't do anything this weekend though. I have to go down to San Diego and do a little test driving. I'm going to be forced to drive the new Chrysler Crossfire. But a Wummer! :rattle:
The last few years this event has been at the Pomona Fair Grounds, and Jeep has always had an event set up next to it. This time It's at the Polo Grounds, whatever that is. And no Jeep or Dodge.
Anyways, back to the Bakersfield, er, I mean point. I'm Game if you can hold out another week. Are you planning on having anything done to the head while you have it off? Valve guides? Thats the part of the ordeal where I tend to get out of hand. I get off on the old "while I'm in here..." going on in my own head and before I come to I'm thinking about new gears for the diffs while I have the engine and tranny out. LOL I do obsessive compulsive really, really good.

Let me know if you would like a hand. :helpme:

Tim B

Well, I don't know what I'm doing in the way of time lines yet..I was just ribbing you a bit there. :)

But I am goign to at least have the head surfaced, also have them take a look at valves. The Jeep is my only car, so I'm going to be taking care of it as quick as I can. (Luckily I can stay at Holly's and she can drive me to work as she passes by it on the way to her work).

Sequoia

Funny you should mention (type a book) the alpine slide. My son did exactly the same thing the very day before. We were leaving saturday when the motorhome broke. Thats what I was doing passing you going up the hill at 85 mph! Anyway his third run same thing, over the edge sudden stop of the creeper (thats what I call them) and slide 30 feet on you skin! Ouuuccchhh!
Hope to see you on the 19th. I'm helping Dan put his head back on this weekend and then maybe rock rails this week.:bunny:

:laugh: UPDATE: The last scab just fell off! :laugh:

:doh: All thats left are sore ribs and lots of pink patches :doh:

Back