• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trailer vs RocketBox

jmsull

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going cross country later this fall. I would like to keep the inside of the vehicle relatively empty and the back seat folded down so the dog can move around.

I would like to hear what you may have to say on two topics:

First, which would be more efficient; a trailer or a RocketBox (roof storage box)? I mean in terms of mpg. I also figure I could put the spare on the trailer and get it out of the vehicle.

Second, which would you rather if you had the option?

I would love to hear of your experiences with either.

I have a '99 4.0L auto/np242 D30/D44 4x4 4w-disc 2" OME w/1.5" BB

I think that it's fairly simple:
1. if you can fit all you need into the clamshell, go with that
2. if you can't fit in the clamshell get a trailer

my Moab trip next april i'll be dragging a small 4'x8' trailer. i'd expect a lesser mileage impact with a heavier trail in the back than anything on the roof.

Never tried the roof thing, but I have had some aero experience (broken window, things on roof) and can say that it can half the milage, yes, half.

I run trailers all the time, it is noticable even when empty, but I think less aero problem, and well balanced and good tire pressure can help reduce effects. Nothing will help the roof box, its there no matter what. Then you can also unhook the trailer at destinations and not have to be hindered by it locally, and not have to unpack things you dont need.

A good M-416 is hard to beat.

It sounds like the trailer option is the most efficient in terms of mpg.

A small trailer or one of those hitch-based cargo carriers if you don't really have that much stuff is the way to go. Rooftop stuff seems like a PITA to me.

A small flatbed trailer wont really choke your mileage all that much as long as your not towing up alot of steep grades or carrying a ton of weight. Expect about a 1-2 MPG loss towing a small flatbed loaded full of your gear. Most of your more significan mileage losses come from loss of aerodynamics....i.e. box trailers, those things you stick on the roof, etc...especially at highway speeds!

ive never been a fan of my coffin box...

got in the way on the trails too much...

but what do i know - im just a webwheeler with an ENORMUS post count

If you have a hitch with a receiver, maybe one of those extension platforms. If you have some large stuff you can lash down, the aerodynamics would be minimal.

There is no way that a trailer could be more efficient than a roof top carrier or rear platform in the hitch (not even close to possible!!).

Asuming the same loads you have all of the extra weight of the trailer plus the tires and friction etc etc etc. Plus you have an additional vechicle for drag calculations. The roof tops are reasonably aerodynamic on their own and as long as they are mounted well on the roof they will have a minimum impact on your drag at reasonable high way speeds.

Another thought. A dog only needs enough room to lie down, they do not need room to move around. It should be given ample room to lie down, with water and plenty of air. Other than that put most of your items (especially heavy ones) in the vehicle. I keep my dog on a leash with harness incase of an accident and so she does not get in the way of other passengers or the driver.

Any additional stuff I would put in a roof top box or two. The tow hitch platforms are ok for really light stuff but they put the load way too far back for good driving characteristics at high way speeds.

Michael

I have a rocket box on top and don't really notice any decrease in mileage. I have taken it all over Colorado and a couple of trips to Texas. I have only towed a small trailer a couple of times but I think the trailer is more difficult to tow,store,etc. We tow our pop up and it has a rocket box on the top of it also. 2 kids, 1 dog and the wife who has to take everything. If you pack the box right you can fit everything in it. I used to take it off in the winter unless we were going skiing, but it is nice to haul stuff year round.

i do alot of highway driving in my xj (see sig), i have a cargo basket on the roof that holds my spare and a couple mountain bikes +trail tools..when i travel on the highway the spare ends up inside the jeep, however as of late i have noticed that even w/ just the bikes on the roof i have been losing about 2-4 mpg on the highway (i am also a Fast driver), so i am experimenting with a small trailer next trip as i expect it to be more areodynamic especially when i have the bikes and my next big purchase(kayaks) on board....as they will then hopefully be in the xjs slip stream....my suggestion stay away from roof mounted anything......pack it inside or on the hitch anything but the roof.....
Maier

Grifter144 said:
i do alot of highway driving in my xj (see sig)
Maier

Looks like 6000 miles a year. I do a combined 45k a year on three different vehicles, 15k in a car, 15k in a WJ and 15k in the XJ, when the tire is on the roof I notice a significant decrease 4-5 mpg.

Matt

Do your self a favor, and just get a trailer. The shear convience of not having to climb up the side, and balance on the tire while trying to get a thirty pound spair up there will negate any disadvantage. Not to mention not having the extra hight to deal with on the trail.

How big is your dog? I've got two large cargo boxes strapped in the back that make a pretty flat floor. This guy was happy to spend 10 hours a day just snoozing away on top of them, no matter how rough the road or trail was. Notice how he is sleeping but still braced in place:
orig.jpg

Handlebars said:
How big is your dog? I've got two large cargo boxes strapped in the back that make a pretty flat floor. This guy was happy to spend 10 hours a day just snoozing away on top of them, no matter how rough the road or trail was. Notice how he is sleeping but still braced in place:

He is a large German Shepard, around 120lbs. With the back seat folded down he easily takes up a third of the space when he is laying down. I figure another third of the space is needed to move around and change positions and have food and water. I then plan to keep the tire in the vehicle, along with tools and a cooler that pretty much takes up the rest of the space.

In most, if not all states, the towing speed is much lower than the normal speed limit. Here in California it 55 mph, for towing, compared to speed limits up to 70 mph. Some states have a 75-mph speed limit. On a cross-country trip, it would be a PIA to go so slow IMO.
How much is your time worth?
"I can't drive 55"---Sammy Hagar

2xtreme, I feel sorry for your dog, and your jeep.

the roof thing is going to KILL you mpg, I keep very good logs on my gas milage,
I averaged 14.7mpg all Hwy with my 31's /ax-15/3.06's @ 65 - 75MPH
I added a canue to the roof. My mpg was then 9.6mpg all hwy the canue is even stream lined.
if you add a cargo BOX to the top of your rolling 4x4 BRICK
you will have the same effect.

Drag a small trailer, or use the back porch option.

2xtreme said:
There is no way that a trailer could be more efficient than a roof top carrier or rear platform in the hitch (not even close to possible!!).

Asuming the same loads you have all of the extra weight of the trailer plus the tires and friction etc etc etc. Plus you have an additional vechicle for drag calculations. The roof tops are reasonably aerodynamic on their own and as long as they are mounted well on the roof they will have a minimum impact on your drag at reasonable high way speeds.

Another thought. A dog only needs enough room to lie down, they do not need room to move around. It should be given ample room to lie down, with water and plenty of air. Other than that put most of your items (especially heavy ones) in the vehicle. I keep my dog on a leash with harness incase of an accident and so she does not get in the way of other passengers or the driver.

Any additional stuff I would put in a roof top box or two. The tow hitch platforms are ok for really light stuff but they put the load way too far back for good driving characteristics at high way speeds.

Michael

muduck18 said:
2xtreme, I feel sorry for your dog, and your jeep.

the roof thing is going to KILL you mpg, I keep very good logs on my gas milage,
I averaged 14.7mpg all Hwy with my 31's /ax-15/3.06's @ 65 - 75MPH
I added a canue to the roof. My mpg was then 9.6mpg all hwy the canue is even stream lined.
if you add a cargo BOX to the top of your rolling 4x4 BRICK
you will have the same effect.

Drag a small trailer, or use the back porch option.

Lets get a few things correct:
My dog has never ridden in my jeep. My point was that a dog does not need the entire jeep to "roam around" in. It need enough room to lay down and have water and air.

My jeep has almost nothing on the roof, and only gets driven to the trail and back. My gas mileage with 33's/aw4/4.88's is about the same as yours.

A canoe is not stream line without a cover (it is open on the top or bottom which has a huge impact on aerodynamics). A rocket box IS streamline and much more aerodynamic.

Michael

Back