• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear end shot

john

NAXJA Forum User
After 130,000 miles the rear end of my 97 xj is toast. It was a 8.25 with limited slip from the factory and stock gearing. It looks as though one of the clutch plates is fractured as well as the retainer clips are broken. Also, the right axel shaft is worn and badley pitted where it rides on the outer bearing.

I need some advice on what direction I should go to fix it. I do a lot of off-roading with it. Just about every week. I drive it on the freeway for long distances to get to the trails. Not only is it loaded down pretty well with extras such as; extra gas, a spare tire on the back, ice chests, camping gear, roof rack with rooftop tent etc., but I often tow another Cherokee behind it. All this eqipment is on the vehicle while off-roading as well. Therefore, the axle takes a good load. Mabe this has something to do with the failure. I have 31" tires and would like to re-gear it for 31's. I would like some sort of locker. My options are A) to fix the 8.25" axle that I have and add a detroit or ARB locker. Also, what is the right gear ratio for 31's? or B)switch to a Dana 44 axle or what about the currie 9" axle? Has any one had experience with this axle or is this over kill?

I saw 2 D44's on the JU For Sale forum. One for $400 and 1 for $300

Those are good prices. I would look into them.

8.8 without a doubt. More HD than a 44 and more readily available. You might lose a tad of clearance but not enough to worry about. The disc brakes alone make the swap worth it.
Oh yeah, most come with 3.73 gears, find one out of a 4 cyl, same axle as a V6 or V8, and it has 4.10's.

I guess that depends on what 9". Currie does the hp 9 which is a 9 housing with an upside down(I think) 8.8 R&P, or something like that. If cost is an issue, the 8.8 is the bomb. Price the Currie with disc brakes, etc. The 8.8 uses c-clip's, the 9 does not. Only downside to the 8.8.

A 4 cylinder Explorer (if there is such a model) would have a 7.5" rear,as will a 3.0 L. The 4.0 and 5.0 Explorers were the ones that had the 8.8 with the 5.0 version having a trac-lok and either 3.73's or 4.10's. The 4.0 models have the 27 spline version with wimpy 3.08 gears.

A used XJ D44 will make you happy for $300-400. An 8.8 will cost more than that, will puke an axle if it breaks, hangs down more than a D44 and then you have to do perches, unless you do them yourself. A Currie 9 will cost you WAYYYY more than the D44 or the 8.8 and have less clearance. If you're not running bigger than 35s and the D44 is the best & most affordable choice.

I meant to say that you should probably change your gear oil a little more often, and always after water crossings, that's what most likely caused pitting on your axleshafts.

I agree with vintage,
If you are not planning on going over 35" tires then get yourself a nice Dana 44 for about $400 get some new brakes and call it good. screw the 8.8 and 9" if you want to go with these axles you have to start going into 'custom' stuff, and I really dont think that its worth it for 31s

I gota be honest, I ran 35s with my stock D44 all the way up and down the CA trails, for a few years without a single problem. After I had my car accident I am upgrading the whole jeep. all I did for th rear was to get superior shafts, and add ZJ discs. (im running 37s) and I prolly wount have any problems.

Georgia Mike said:
A 4 cylinder Explorer (if there is such a model) would have a 7.5" rear,as will a 3.0 L. The 4.0 and 5.0 Explorers were the ones that had the 8.8 with the 5.0 version having a trac-lok and either 3.73's or 4.10's. The 4.0 models have the 27 spline version with wimpy 3.08 gears.

There was never a 4cyl or 3.0L option in the Explorer. 4.0L minimum.
All 95 and newer Explorers are equipped with 31 spline axles including the 4.0L.
3.73 gears are also available with their 4.0.
4.10 gears were also optional.

Hopefully, sometime in the span of my lifetime, all people will understand one simple fact:

ALL EXPLORERS, REGARDLESS OF YEAR OR ENGINE, CAME WITH 31 SPLINE AXLES.

That is all.

CRASH

Back