• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lean to the right!

Brian Carpenter

NAXJA Forum User
So I was driving my trail jeep to work today (5" lift 33s welded 44 in rear)
and noticed it is puling to the right. it also seems to be leaning to the right when I looked at it at the gas pumps. Last night I parked it on a hill also leaning right...
Has anyone ever heard of springs sticking? It still bounces if I jump on it... but what else could it be?
-BC

With a welded rear, if you are turning when you stop, it will preload the springs and make it lean. Try turning the other way and stopping and see if it leans the opposite.

If you back it up straight and pull forward.. or go in gravel or dirt and spin the tires.... it will straighten up. The axle wants to pull off the springs in a turn... and the bolts dont allow it.. IT makes teh springs do weird things. it is normal, and both mine and my friends do that often...

kyle

I had an old down sized Dodge station wagon, with a spooled 60 in the rear. After I´d swapped ends a dozen times or so, I pulled the spool and went with a limited slip. A moderate curve, at moderate speeds and a slick spot (and/or a little blip of the gas) in the road, will turn you right around. Before anybody starts up with, I don´t know how to drive, I doubt 10% of the population can hang with me on most surfaces. I have a spooled Chev. 4X now, pretty much a mud drag setup. Thing doesn't turn worth a hoot, in the mud.
XJ's have a fairly serious push anyway, add some lift it gets worse, lock up the rear and it gets worse. On icy, wet or snow covered roads, I´d be tempted to crawl around most curves. An unplanned trip through the woods, isn't any fun.
Welded or spooled rears, work fine in a straight line. Can be a help when doing some serious crawling. Even somewhat in the dirt when you can power through the curves. On most other surfaces they are a liability.
IMHO
What have you done about your trac bar, I bent one a few years back, sure enough made the XJ lean to the right. Did you extend yours some when you lifted?

Back