• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chevy axles?

CW

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, I found a set of front and rear axles from a 1981 chevy 1/2 ton for $100 in my local clasifieds. As far as I can tell this truck came with front and rear D44's. Would these be a good swap? I haven't been able to talk to the guy yet. Does anyone know if the front axle would work and what mods I would have to do to the axles to make them work? Thanks in Advance.

The rear is most likely a 10 or 12 bolt corporate. The front is either a 10 bolt or a D44. I have often wondered about the rear being a candidate for a swap, but I think that they are c-clip axles, and if I recall correctly, only GM factory parts; no aftermarket. The front would be a passenger side drop which would lead you to needing a t-case with the same drop which opens another can of worms. Either that or re-tubing the differential to the other side. On top of that you have to deal with mounts. After all is said and done, I think there are better candidates for a front end swap. Best of luck to you.

wouldn't try to do much with a 10 bolt rear...they are not all that strong...blew quite a few up driving on the street when I first started driving many years ago...they don't like putting power to the ground unless you are traveling straight.
;)

Back