• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

*!#@! Axle Nut!!

trekker

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, deeeep breath. Let it out slow. I'm in my happy place!
NOT! :smsoap:

**** this Jeep! I have been soaking the front axle nuts for days with PB, tried long breaker bar with a long pipe. Even used a floor jack on the breaker bar. All to no avail. I am sure it is possible to get this mf'er off, but I have about had it trying.
If I cut the knuckles off near the ball joints, would the whole hub/knuckle/shaft slide out? At this point I will gladly sacrifice the knucles and drop the cash to replace them.
Any thoughts appreciated.
Whew! :wow:
Todd

First off... If its that tight take it to a repair shop and have them bust the nut loose with an impact gun. You should not have to sacrafice anything at this point... Also I would drive it around and make sure the nuts are hot from driving and then soak them with the PB blaster... just an opinion... I hope this works out for ya...

Scott.

Hey Scott, thanks for the idea. Problem is, the Jeep is not running at this point. I have heated the heck out of the nut and threads, but again, no luck.
Maybe you are right though, I might have to back-burner the whole front end, try to get her running, and then get it to a shop.
T

You can take the three screws out of the hub, and pull it and the axles together. But the hub is almost as much a pain in the ass as the suicide nut.
A little trick is to tap the nut with a flat punch and hammer. Being careful not to ding the edges. Tapping it helps loosen the rust and helps the penetration oil to penetrate.
Be careful when (if :explosion ) you get it loose, not to mess up the threads. A little loosening them tightening, a little scrubbing with a brass brush, will help move the rust off before it piles up and screws the threads up, more than necessary.
Time before last, I bent a 1/2" t slide, that I'd jammed between the outer yoke and the knuckle to keep it from turning, into a serious U shape, before I finally got it to move.
If the hubs are junk (I wouldn´t heat a hub I planned on reusing, seals will melt), you can heat the nut up good, then throw some water on it a few times. Doesn't have to be fire, a heat gun will work also. If you get it too hot and douse it with water, you stand a chance of cracking cast iron. The last time through, heat it and then turn it. You want to break the bond between the rust and the metal.
I had to use a serious puller to get the shaft out of my hub, the last time through. If you have to do this, pull on the back not on the lug nut flange or you may pull the flange and or bearings out of the hub.
I bet you grease everything up good before you put it all back together. :banghead:

15 inch breaker bar + 4 foot piece of fence post on the end of the breaker bar + as much force as you can put on that sumbitch. make sure to put the e-brake on or block the rear wheels because it will roll back. that's what i did anyways. put a ton of antiseize on it on reassembly.

If you're already wiling to spend all that money, just get a compressor and an impact wrench.

I did mine on my 89 this weekend and it took a 1/2" breaker bar with a high-lift handle around it and a 6 foot piece of pipe coming out of the other end of the jack handle to break one loose. Have someone hold the brakes in the jeep to keep the axle from turning.

On my other (donor hub) 93 jeep one broke loose with VERY minimal pressure on a regular 1/2 drive wrench and then I was actually able to turn it out by hand ?!?!?!?!

On a side note I learned; 2wd hubs will work in 4wd jeeps, and 93 hubs will work in an 89 jeep if you also get the newer rotors.

WHAT "hub" on a 2wd? They use a spindle, with servicable bearings. The last time that Jeep made an interchangable hub was on the CJ series, and MAYYYBE, the FSJs'. If you mean the KNUCKLE, well then,that does interchange.

Thanks for the suggestions gang.

As for buying a compressor and impact wrench, seems like that would be a bit more than the $200 for 2 new knuckles.

This is a 4wd, w/ hub assemblies.

8Mud; I have removed the 3 bolts connecting the hub to the knuckle, and am planning on replacing the hub assemblies. I will try to remove hub/shaft as a single unit, as you mentioned. I wasn't sure if that HELL NUThad to come off first.

Again, thanks everyone. Good to here some "Been there, Done that" encouragement!
T

I broke 2, yes two 1/2" breaker bars on that nut. One of which was a snap on.

No cheater bar used doing that, either. Just bare hands on breaker bar :D

trekker said:

As for buying a compressor and impact wrench, seems like that would be a bit more than the $200 for 2 new knuckles.

8Mud; I have removed the 3 bolts connecting the hub to the knuckle, and am planning on replacing the hub assemblies. I will try to remove hub/shaft as a single unit, as you mentioned. I wasn't sure if that HELL NUThad to come off first.

Again, thanks everyone. Good to here some "Been there, Done that" encouragement!
T
It's going to have to come off sooner or later, It's easer when still in palce, you got the hole jeep holding one end for you. Get a real torch, a propane torch don't cut it. You need to get the nut red hot in 2 min. or less.
The trick is getting the nut red hot way before the axle, then spin it off quick.
The nut cools off in a few seconds as soon as you put the socket on it.

trekker said:

T

One way to pop the hub out is to get three bolts M12x1.75, 100mm long... thread these into the hub bolt holes and whack the crap out of them, alternating whacks in a circular pattern. This will walk the hub right out. Be sure to clean & polish the mating surfaces and reinstall with anti-sieze.

The 36mm axle nut? Just carry the hub/axle assy to a shop and let one of the guys nab it with a good 1/2"dr gun... again cleaning, anti-sieze + add 175 ft lbs to refit.

If all you are after is replacing the axle universal joints, you don't need to break the hub loose. :rof:

To Take mine off I removed the platic center of my wheels, thus exposing the nut, placed a breaker bar on it then a pipe over the bar, moved the bar and pipe so it was against the pavement and drove backwards SLOWLY alowing the Jeep to do all the real hard work for me.

Dan1990XJ said:
To Take mine off I removed the platic center of my wheels, thus exposing the nut, placed a breaker bar on it then a pipe over the bar, moved the bar and pipe so it was against the pavement and drove backwards SLOWLY alowing the Jeep to do all the real hard work for me.

Mmmmm that's like using the breaker bar and the starter to break the crank nut loose (pull the coil wire first) Maybe not a great "try this at home" technique, but it works... Don't use a cheapie pull-bar for this stuff and even then, duck & cover.

Back