• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Belt Squeal

MarkF

NAXJA Forum User
I replaced my water pump and my serpentine belt. The engine runs smooth and quietly until I trun on the AC then I hear a loud squeal.

I've tightened my belt a bit but the squeal won't go away. How do I tell if it is too tight or not tight enough?

you get a kricket II :D

Ok.... now come the details. IF you go to a NAPA after about 30 minutes of talking to them you can convince them that yes they can order that gismo and yes it only runs about $20 and it's a belt tensiometer. Then you give us a holler and we look up the specs for the belt (I think 150 ft/lbs come to my mind).

Kejtar

My XJ does the same thing...the belt is tight, but when I start it in the AM, it sqweeeeels, so I leave it off until I hit RPM, then turn it on. No problemo then. Any time during after starting it, if I start it with the A/C on, no problem. Keep in mind that it is already 90* at 6 AM here in the hubs of hell Arizona, so that may be why the A/C doesn't want to wake when I do. Park it in the summer, wheel it in the winter. Exactly opposite of you right coasters.

Yeah I went to the local NAPA and they didn't even know such a tool existed. Maybe I'll go back and try to twist their arms.

Kejtar said:
you get a kricket II :D

Ok.... now come the details. IF you go to a NAPA after about 30 minutes of talking to them you can convince them that yes they can order that gismo and yes it only runs about $20 and it's a belt tensiometer. Then you give us a holler and we look up the specs for the belt (I think 150 ft/lbs come to my mind).

Kejtar

give them a try again and also hit up AUtoZone. I recall something I think from a recent visit there about a free tensiometer with a purchase of a belt... or maybe it was kragen.... not sure now... In any case, they might know what you're talking about LOL

Kejtar

Kejtar,

I bought a Kriket awhile back(at NAPA). I know that you and a couple of other people on here use it to set belt tension.

I've tried it on several occasions, but felt that it way off--tension too high. This is just a gut feeling

I've basically resorted to the twist 90 degree method that some of the season veterans on here have mentioned.

My question is ... after you tension it using the Kriket, how much are you able to twist the belt?

TIA

link to Kriket info

After adjusting using the kricket I was able to do the 90* twist barely and my noise on the belt was gone. I have used it on couple occassions and I have never felt that the belt was too tight and I got no belt noise..... FYI I drive about 120+ miles a day 5 days a week and I have no problems :D

Kejtar

On the 90 degree test, are you twisting it at the middle of the long run between water pump and power steering pump or somewhere else? It seems the length of the span makes a difference.

yup... it's the power steering to water pump run... that seems to be the longest. Same thing goes with using the kricket.....
WHen you use the kricket though you have to play with it and take couple measurements just to makes sure

I snagged some more info on the Krikit thingy from a post a while back... could be from Rich P, but not sure... Anyhoo... here ya go..

"Part number N3H KR2 from Napa I had a hard time finding this part, but I finally traked it down. It is called a "Krikit II." It is made by HMC International Div, Inc. Littleton, CO (303)794-2510. It is sold by HMC to Gates Rubber Company - the manufaturer of belts. There is no official NAPA part number for this. The NAPA store has to look in the "GATES" catalog. They will find it under the part number "KR2.""

I have found that the Krikit and the twist test agree pretty closely when done carefully. I, like others, was initially concerned about how high the tension seemed, but on the 87, if belt tension was not sufficient it would (silently!) lose power steering boost intermittently when it was most needed. It did this even when it was tight enough not to squeal. That seems like something to keep an eye on.

Back