• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JCR Offroad VS. Tomken

Nice prices. 3/16" wall tubing for the bumper is pretty thick. Sounds like a good deal.

I run tomken's rear bumper with the tire carrier it's not too bad. But it has a screw on knob to hold the swing-arm on witch is a p.i.t.a. for a daily driver I would rather a latch type system. You have to buy the bumper and the swing-arm as two separate pieces and mount the swing-arm to the bumper. Not too much fun especially if you don't get all the hardware like me. The directions aren't that great either. I searched online for people that have installed them and it helped out greatly. If you go with tomken take your time and measure everything correctly or else it will rattle like a bastard. If you are using it for any towing I would not trust the mounting points of the Tomken. It uses the four original holes and 2 on the frame, one on each side of the gas tank. It's probably the cheapest, it's strong, but you get what you pay for.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b394/CrawlinXJ/003_3.jpg

I really like that JCR bumper. I built my own and now I think I need to re work it a little bit.

I bought one of JCR's front bumpers and I beat the hell out of it. It is hand made not stamped and is beefy.

The only thing that I was dissapointed in is that I got it and it was primered. That was probably more my fault :banghead: but be sure to bring that up so you don't have to spend the extra time and money to go and get the primer sand blasted and powdercoated. I think they powder coat just be sure to specify thats what you want.

Get the tie in brackets also.

I talked to the owner and I believe his name was Brian. Super nice guy on the phone.

I will purchase the rear bumper before to long. :thumbup:

After some serious Internet research I decided to go with Custom 4x4 Fabrication bumbers (front, rear, tire carrier, hlj mount, etc). The pieces are super tough, the price is great, the fit was like nothing I've ever seen before. I dont see the included receiver hitch you mwntioned, but I'm sure they could accomodate. I called and talked to Mike (the owner/builder) and had to ask when he was in my garage building the front winch mount bumper, it went on that easily. It really helps that Mike is an XJ'er too..

Check them out at http://www.custom4x4fabrication.com/

They desrve a serious look too.

I just recently bought JCR's stage III rear bumper w/ tire carrier.. fit up pretty nicely, just had to drill the holes out a little more for the unibody tie in brackets.. but it looks awesome and has everything. JCROFFROAD.com

I've had the tomken on about 4 or 5 years now on my 98. The bumper is beefy, receiver is OK, their finish sucks big time, all the powdercoat around the receiver is falling off. I need to remove, strip and paint it now, probably in the spring maybe... Otherwise it's a nice bumper. If you get it see if you can get it unfinished and rattle can it yourself. I'm still trying to figure out how to remove the powdercoat...

JCR Offroad poster child checking in here.....

Stage 2 rails
Stage 4 Front bumper
Stage 3 rear bumper
Love them all equally.
I haven't really had a chance to abuse the bumpers yet. It is on my "things to do list" though.:D
I've beat the tar out of the rails countless times with outstanding results. I really like using the outer tube to piviot on trees. They've saved my door handles many times as well.
100_2484.jpg

100_2487.jpg

100_2485.jpg

non-stick said:
After some serious Internet research I decided to go with Custom 4x4 Fabrication bumbers (front, rear, tire carrier, hlj mount, etc). The pieces are super tough, the price is great, the fit was like nothing I've ever seen before. I dont see the included receiver hitch you mwntioned, but I'm sure they could accomodate. I called and talked to Mike (the owner/builder) and had to ask when he was in my garage building the front winch mount bumper, it went on that easily. It really helps that Mike is an XJ'er too..

Check them out at http://www.custom4x4fabrication.com/

They desrve a serious look too.

i have the trailblazer winch bumper w/out hoop and the rear bumper w/tire carrier. these bumpers are sweet, they come powdercoated already, fit perfect, look cool, they've save me from serious body damage, trees mostly. i would def go with them.

Back