• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help quick

scottsxj

NAXJA Forum User
im in the process of putting on my PORC sye. AS some might have read in earlier posts the rear output shaft snapped on my transfer case. Well now im in the dilema of removing the front yoke so i can pull the sporkets off of the shafts. I cant get a good hold of any thing to hold the yoke still so i can undo the nut. Has anyone ever encounter this problem. And why wont the shafts stay still when i have the transmission in gear. Thanks for any help. I am desperate.

scott

Have you tried using a pipe wrench with a "cheater" pipe on it?
As for the shafts turning, is the 'case in low?

well see a breaker bar doesnt do anything other than spin the shaft and the yoke together. I need to break them loose from each other but i cant keep them from spinning together. Why would it matter if the case is in low as long as its in gear.

use the pipe wrench to "lock" the yoke in place, so that you can break the torque on the nut.
If the 'case is in gear, then it should be locked up like the tranny when it is in gear, and not able to turn. At least that has been my normal exp. with the 'case.

This is what I did for the front and the rear. Of course, the yoke is going to look a bit different but by wedging the breaker bar through two bolts in the yoke you can still turn the retaining nut.
sye_seal.jpg

scottsxj said:
well see a breaker bar doesnt do anything other than spin the shaft and the yoke together. I need to break them loose from each other but i cant keep them from spinning together. Why would it matter if the case is in low as long as its in gear.
Dude... clamp a pipe wrench onto the yoke. Slide a nice long piece of tubing over the handle. A floor jack handle will work. So will a length of pipe, etc.

Put your 1 1/8" (or whatever size pinion nut you have) socket and breaker bar on and start twisting. Use a cheater bar if need be. When the whole yoke and nut assembly starts turning, eventually the pipe wrench will butt up against something and be wedged still, holding the yoke in place for you to keep applying pressure to the nut.

Simple concept really. Youre probably thinking too hard.

ArcticXJ said:
Simple concept really. Youre probably thinking too hard.

haha yeah i tend to do that, i gave up for the night, but my dad gave me a really good idea, im going to get a peice of angle iron and bolt it to the yoke, and let it hit against the frame rails. Thanks for all the info guys.

Oh and so i dont start a new thread, i have another T-case related question. HOw much slack is the chain supposed to have in it. I searched and found someone saying 1/8, but how would that be measured. But then others where saying that 1/8 i normal. Im thinking it might have been stressed or stretched cause the output shaft snapped in half, and im sure thats not good for other components such as the chain. Thanks for all the advise

scott

Back