• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blue smoke

MattsXj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1993 inline 6, with dual flowmaster exhaust, 30x9.5 bfg at, and the everything else is stock. i got the jeep about a month ago and started to see blue smoke coming from my tailpipes. I only notice it when i start it up. I have changed the oil/filter and it still has blue smoke coming from it. i did burn all of my oil really fast(about 5 qt in less than a month) so i did not know if its a ccv valve problem or its a head gasket or a piston ring problem. need some input to see if you may know what it is

If you're only getting it on startup, I'd think about doing valve guide seals. We've gone over this in the last week in Mod Tech, with tetsulo having trouble with his engine - you might want to refer to that.

You'll need a valve cover gasket, a "air holding" tool (goes in the spark plug hole and pressurises cylinder to hold valves,) and a valve spring compressor (to remove the springs.) You'll also need a set of valve guide seals.

If you were getting blue smoke all the time, I'd say it was oil control rings - the "on startup" is the key of the issue here. Valve guide seals are also the easier job of the two.

5-90

Back