• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tricks for removing Alt. pulley??

VET'S XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Trying to get the old pulley off my 95 to put on my combo vbelt/serpt. pulley for my York. It has a 10mm bolt end on the shaft and a 22mm nut holding the pulley on. I cant get it off for the life of me. Anyone have any tricks to loosen the nut?
Thanks

Two ways to do it...

1) Use an impact gun. Hold the pully, and the impact will break it loose.

2) Use an offset wrench on the large nut, and a wrench to hold the hex end. Once you have the nut loose, it will spin off with finger work - it's not self-retaining.

I'm used to Delco's - use a socket on the nut (7/8", usually) and a 3/8" hex key to hold the shaft...

5-90

I agree with using the impact. It is SO much easier on the knuckles. If you don't have air tools, the Chicago Elec. brand at harbor frieght is actually a good buy. I have had mine for about 6 years now, and it is still working great. ( Hell, most of the time, I reach for it instead of an air impact- seems like less trouble to set-up, no waiting for the air comp. to fill, and so on.)

Back