• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What gets grounded only on start up?

T&A-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
When the key is in the start position what gets a ground signal? Then in the run position it does not. This is on a 90 XJ what I am swapping in a 96 column. This is the only differance beween the wiring I havent figured out yet aside from the cruise.

Would think that in the start it only needs the starter trigger and ignition. My next step is to leave it open and see if it works but if not Im thinking maybe this ground can be constantly grounded but dont want to mess it up yet, without asking around first. The wire guage is thin maybe 18-20Ga

Thanks

Think it´s for the warning or trouble lights, like the brake and maybe the check engine light. Not certain though.

T&A-XJ said:
When the key is in the start position what gets a ground signal? Then in the run position it does not. This is on a 90 XJ what I am swapping in a 96 column. This is the only differance beween the wiring I havent figured out yet aside from the cruise.

Would think that in the start it only needs the starter trigger and ignition. My next step is to leave it open and see if it works but if not Im thinking maybe this ground can be constantly grounded but dont want to mess it up yet, without asking around first. The wire guage is thin maybe 18-20Ga

Thanks
When looking at the ignition switch I don't see anything that gets grounded.
Anything that needs grounded is done by the ECU, accept the horn.

8Mud said:
Think it´s for the warning or trouble lights, like the brake and maybe the check engine light. Not certain though.
What Mud said -- especially if it's a GY/WT or/and VT/YL wire(s)

Back