• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody Broken a Lockright???

MrShoeBoy

NAXJA Forum User
I just got a Lockright from a guy down the street out of his Dana 30 from his CJ. He has been running it for about 4 years and says he has not had a problem with it.

I pulled the Lockright apart and the shear pins that are held in by the springs are broken in half. Is this a common thing for Lockrights in the front axle? He was running 33" super swampers and a mildly built 304 V-8 and 4.56s. I will be running 32's and a built 4.0L with 4.10s in the pumpkins.

Should I be worried about running this Lockright in my Jeep?

Thanks,

AARON

I have never heard of one complaint about the lock right set up. Your buddy was way over using the Dana 30. Just a rebuild and you should be in hog heaven.

Thanks for the reply.

The reason I have the LR is becasue he is swaping in a 60 in the rear and a 44 up front and wants to run 38 or 40s. He is still lookin out for a front 60 but thoes are hard to find cheep.

AARON

How is a 33" tire "way over using" a dana 30 front?

CRASH

I think he was refering to the V-8, maybe?

I ran an EZ locker, same thing as a LockRight, in my D30 for seven years without a hint of trouble. That was with 33's and running my share of hard trails. I sold that axle, and a friend is still running it no problems.

I wouldn't worry about it at all......after replacing those broken pins.

Check very carefully around all the holes for the 4 pins. I sheared my pins and promptly cracked out all the holes on the next run after replacing the pins.

Sean

Same here. I had to buy new drivers and new pins. I have broken 2 lockrites so far with 4.10s and 31s with the AX-15. Funny thing is I think the street driving is killing them. This is also in the rear not the front.

BA

I broke a rear LockRight with 31's, but this was 6 years ago and the LockRights had only been around about a year. It broke after the factory warranty and they replaced it without question anyway, paid the shipping & everything. Great company as far as that goes. They supposedly fixed the problem with them and the second generation LockRight they sent me lived for another 3 years of hard wheeling with up to 33" tires. Then I pulled the D35 & got a D44 & a Detroit.

Jump This said:
I was refering to the V-8........

And that's supposed to mean what? I broke one with a stock straight six.........um maybe a V8 could break one too? Maybe, as the 4.0 probably has the same or more torque then a wimpy 308. :eek:

how would I know when a lockright is broken?
I have mine in the D30 w/33's. It used to click/bind up in tight turns in 2wd. I took it offroad last weekend. nothing extreme though.. now it no longer clicks/ binds in 2wd in turns. The ujoints/hubs/shafts all look OK.

HOw would I go about testing it w/o taking the cover off (just put in new diff fluid 2 weeks ago :( ) I was thinking of putting it up on jackstands on both axles, engaging 4wd and make sure both fronts still spin.

LouisianaZJ said:
how would I know when a lockright is broken?
I have mine in the D30 w/33's. It used to click/bind up in tight turns in 2wd. I took it offroad last weekend. nothing extreme though.. now it no longer clicks/ binds in 2wd in turns. The ujoints/hubs/shafts all look OK.

HOw would I go about testing it w/o taking the cover off (just put in new diff fluid 2 weeks ago :( ) I was thinking of putting it up on jackstands on both axles, engaging 4wd and make sure both fronts still spin.
Take it onto loose ground and engage 4wd and make a left turn. You'll clearly see the left tire trying to keep up with the right, if it's working, of course.

jack the front or rear up and spin one tire by hand and see if the other spins too then stop and see if it clicks and rachets that way you will now if it engages and disengages

Ramsey said:
jack the front or rear up and spin one tire by hand and see if the other spins too then stop and see if it clicks and rachets that way you will now if it engages and disengages
As a note to this: the wheels will differentiate when spinning one. They will only lock up if there is torque applied to the pinion.

really? i thought that was how it said to check it in the instructions.

well, I dont have instructions anymore :(

I took it to a gravel area and made a couple turns in 4 lo. It did seem like the drivers side was not turning fast enough on a left hand turn according to the person spotting the action. I did not see much slippage from the drivers side though. So I guess it is working. I did not hear any popping/engaging noises though

if I did infact round off the lockright teeth, would I be seeing alot of metal on my diff plug magnet when I check it tommorow

Last edited:
they will wear in after you have it in a while and not make near as much sound. mine is almost completely quiet after about 2 months and still works great. btw what part of La are you in.

my buddy keeps on blowing up his front D44 Lock-Right, I had a Lock-Right in my rear axle and I would snap the axle shafts before breaking the lock-right...

Back