• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE Transfer case Drop kit

IMORTL

NAXJA Member #1156
I installed a RE 5.5 lift on my 1990 XJ. The Lift is installed except for the last braces and the transfer case drop kit... Should I install the drop kit? The jeep runs fine now. no vibes... Do need to install the drop kit?

5.5" lift with no transfer case drop and no vibes??

do you have your rear shimmed up?

do you have an SYE and or CV rear driveshaft?

sorry should have posted that info...

yes rear is shimmed and is inline with the transfer case...

Yes SYE...

IMORTL said:
sorry should have posted that info...

yes rear is shimmed and is inline with the transfer case...

Yes SYE...
If you got sye, then recover some of the money you've invested into the jeep by selling the drop kit, or take a look here

100_3137.jpg

100_3138.jpg

everything lines up fine... and the drop kit came with the Lift kit...

the drop kit is the cheap way to get around an SYE install.

you are now the proud owner of some real slick paper weights.

Kejtar said:
It's hard to say from this picture, but is your driveshaft long enough?

Im pretty sure it is... It is off my old XJ that had the same rear lift on it (RE 4.5 SPrings with 1.5" Shackle)..and that rear drive shaft was mesured and made for it... ( I needed a new one after trying to grind a rock down on Holcom rock garden with the drive shaft -- it wasnt pretty)...

IMORTL said:
Im pretty sure it is... It is off my old XJ that had the same rear lift on it (RE 4.5 SPrings with 1.5" Shackle)..and that rear drive shaft was mesured and made for it... ( I needed a new one after trying to grind a rock down on Holcom rock garden with the drive shaft -- it wasnt pretty)...
But did your old one have the same transmission ( auto to manual are 1" difference in length ) and also the rear axle as the 8.25 is longer in the pinion than a D35?

IMORTL said:

Reason I'm asking is because it looks like a lot of the splines are showing and just to be on the safe side, you might want to check into it (as in find out what happens at full droop).

Back