• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

broke high school kid

bac XJ said:
i am broke, gas prices are crazy....i am looking for some cheap mods whatever they may be, post your cheapest mods

My cheapest gas saving mod is to drive the wife's jetta to work...

trim fenders, make quick discos, make removable doors

i have trimmed fenders, and have jks quick discos but i have not looked into removable doors....anyone have a write up about doing this, i know you have to cut a pin in the door and get a removable bolt in its place but what about power mirrors and speakers and such?

search, little homie, search. :compwork:

Wash the carpet?, move the mirrors?, rotate the speakers front to back?
install a CB? change the oil? New headlights? etc..etc...

Cheap and useful mods, remove, clean and dielectric grease all the grounds. Take all electrical connectors apart, clean them use dielectric grease on them when reassembling. Unplug the headlights and use a burnishing tool to clean all the green crud out of the sockets. Remove the battery and clean up the tray, sand and repaint it. Detail the interior, shampoo and scotchguard the seats and headliner. Remove and paint the rear drums, paint the skid plates an interesting color, remove the diff covers and sand them down, prime them, repaint them black and use some yellow to make big smiley faces on them, smiley in the front :laugh3: , tounge sticking out one for the rear. Limited by your imagination...

Free stickers are even cheaper... HAHA. Seriously, if you have the factory style exhaust pipe, trim the end of it off. Go look at how badly that sucker necks down, I cut that off, and could feel a little difference in power. Not a big change, granted, but you did ask for cheapest mods, right?

Front coil spacers and rear leaf shackles. Or do that junkyard S-10 leaf pack lift.

Change out those narrow a$s alternator power and engine ground cables for some 4 gauge.

Cut a hole in the hood and put a vent or one of the deck plates to help cool the engine compartment.

can i join the club, im a broke High school kid too.
if i could give you any advice it is to stop looking at the pictures on this board you are only getting your hopes up and furthering your jeep depression. my first mod was 15X8 black steelies with these nice chrome lug nuts and center caps, about 60 a wheel or so from les schwabb, i forgot just how much they were installed like under 300 bucks i think. its no 6 inch LA lift, but it makes it stand out a little from the endless waves of NW xjs, plus my xj is a black sport, so the all black thing looks awesome. next step im looking at a rustys 3" AAl or a 3.5 super ride from RE because im gonna need new tires and shocks anyways. Stickers. I don't know what year your xj is- but if its older or has the ugly yellow basketweave wheels, etc, look on ebay, craigslist, whatever, and get a cheap new set of better looking stock jeep wheels. Park it with a tire on the curb at your HS and pretend its the most badass 4x4 for miles around.

If your loking to save on gas, get one of these...............

100_1597A.jpg

We all might need one soon!!

get a job?

thats what I did... in high school...

now i get 2000 a semester to do wahtever i want with... thanks BofA for the loans!

I did the boost with spacers and shackles, made room for some cheap (to me) 30" tires. They weren't cheap, a pair of Bridgestone MTs up front and Futuras out back, but I bought them off a friend met on NAXJA for $100, w/wheels. I sold the wheels and reused a set of black steelies I bought with Michelin 235/75 X-Radials for $400. The wheels I think new were only $42, so check Discount Tire for the wheels if you're in the market for steelies. Check craigslist, the NAXJA classifieds, etc for cheap tires and other stuff. You can find deals, you just gotta look.

BlackSport96 said:
You can find deals, you just gotta look.
Sure can, I scored these for FREE......................
(Well... it cost me 3/4 of a tank of gas to go get 'em.)
30 X 9.50's
100_1624.jpg

Heres the spare............
100_1623B.jpg

The Pathfinder's were only wore down 1/16th of an inch compared to the GoodYear. (spare)

Uh...I think he was looking for ways to save gas. Then again, he did say post up your cheap mods "whatever they may be". slap some 215's on it.....go easy on the skinny. don't go faster than 55. close all your windows, and don't turn on your a/c. and this i can't stress enough....drive less drive less drive less!

ren said:
Free stickers are even cheaper... HAHA. Seriously, if you have the factory style exhaust pipe, trim the end of it off. Go look at how badly that sucker necks down, I cut that off, and could feel a little difference in power. Not a big change, granted, but you did ask for cheapest mods, right?
uhh i don't think so...

uvaldetxj said:
close all your windows, and don't turn on your a/c.

May get a little hot?

Instead of cheap mods, I've jsut been saving my money to do it right the first time. I'm a high school student with a job and I've been saving for about 2-3 months. RE 3.5" super flex with adjustable upper and lower control arms coming soon...

DBenz said:
May get a little hot?

Instead of cheap mods, I've jsut been saving my money to do it right the first time. I'm a high school student with a job and I've been saving for about 2-3 months. RE 3.5" super flex with adjustable upper and lower control arms coming soon...
lol probably the smartest post in here... cheers, i just got my xj like 3-4 weeks ago and i already dumped over 800$ into it including tires, 3" lift i pieced together, changing of fluids, and minor maintenance and misc. things.

Back