• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfer case rear output HELP

jrgilchrist

NAXJA Forum User
So i have been looking around and have come up with nothing why are there two diffrent syles of transfer case rear outputs for At least that i know of 98 cherokees? They are both np231

This one came out of mine

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=9/26512191369.jpg&s=x4

what seems to be normal is the type on the picture below. Which isn't what mine has

http://jeep.avtograd.ru/xfer/encyclopedia/NP231/images/NP231.jpg

My problem
I got a rebuild kit and it doesn't have the right seal for this style of output, My other question is where can i find a new seal and a new cover plate for the seal.

THanks

From 96 on the rear of the TC is sealed,the slip yoke does NOT enter the tail cone.Earlier units/years had the slip yoke enter the cone.
The best place to find the seal and "other piece" shield,what ever, would be the dealer.
You will destroy the outer piece when you remove it .Becareful not to pry on or break the rear of the tail cone removing this shield.I have a nice paper weight to prove it.
Wayne

The first (huge) pic is of a 96+ NP231...
The second one (with the link to the Russian website) is a YJ or 87-95 XJ NP231

By 'cover plate' do you mean the dust shield that's visible around the end of the output shaft? The part I am removing in this photo?
sye_seal.jpg

You can get the seal at any NAPA. Or you can do an SYE that replaces the mainshaft (such as a PORC SYE) and you get a new mainshaft and rear housing, regardless of the year of the t-case.

thanks

tracked down the seal,

the part you are takeing off in the picture was the part i was reffering to. I got mine off with some heat/wd4\three arm puller. took a little while and it looks a little destroyed but im off to get a new one

thanks for your info

No problem; I'm doing a PORC SYE on mine and as far as I know will have no use for the dust shield in the future. If that turns out to be true and you can't track one down let me know.

Back