• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 swappin

Rockhound

NAXJA Forum User
so i have been waiting for this dude to ship me my freekin 44 i paid him for 3 months ago and am about to call it quits and just get my money back. i can get 8.8s from dusk till dawn where i am, and pretty cheap too. what all is involved with this swap? which is more recommended? TIA
Rockhound

95' and older Explorer with disc brakes. Mountain Offroad has the full bracket and yoke kit with brake lines.
mountainoffroad.com

I don't know the price, or you could fab them up yourself. Shock mounts can transfer over from the Dana 35, and the spring perches can be made from square stock and cut to fit. Just need new u-bolts and brake lines. Oh and maybe the yoke.
Juice

as stated earlier, you want 95 -02,03 Ford Explorer with those wonderful 31-spline axles and disc. FYI stock XJ axle length is 59" ,so you might want some spacers and if you need to refresh/replace items here is some additional information :2-2-1379 = spicer flange adapter for 1998 Ford Explorer LS 3.73:1 8.8 axle to drive-shaft. Can be purchased at NAPA auto supply store .Other Parts Needed
Brake pads (P/N 6674, AutoZone)
Calipers (P/N's C576 &C577, AutoZone)
Guide pins (2 - H15068, AutoZone)
Banjo bolts (Ford P/N 385116-S2)
Hoses (2 - NAPA P/N 380376 & 380528 ) E-brake cables (Mopar P/N's 52008904 & 05)
"T" Hose (P/N 380889, NAPA)
2 - Hard Brake Lines(NAPA P/N 813-1208 & 813-1204 )Yoke Adapter (Spicer P/N 2-2-1379, NAPA)
Yoke bolts (Ford P/N N800594-S100)
8.8 flange bolts and spring perches info=
They are metric, however the size slips my mind at the moment. DO NOT use grade 8.8 for these, the proper bolt has a 12 point, 12mm head and is
grade 10.9. Auto dealership item . Any driveline shop carries them, including www.highangledriveline.com. Tons of places carry perches. You'll need D-60 sized ones, which are designed for 3.25" tube. Don't pay more than $20 for a set. Any trailer manufacturer in your area should have a supply of perches. Also Central Four Wheel Drive if you are out West. GLI . I hate to sound redunant but If you have access to maybe some welding equipment ,a MIG and/or metal working tools, save yourself some money and fabricate your own perches and top plates out of 1/4" mild steel.

Earlier Explorer axles work just as well, I have never seen an Explorer axle that did not have 31 spline shafts.

Later model use DOM tube, which may have a slight strength advantage.

The pinion is stronger on the 8.8, as are the shafts, but the 44 is so much easier to drop in, and you only need to carry one spare shaft. Explorer diffs are offset about 3 inches, forcing you to carry two shafts for spares.

CRASH

Yeah, don't buy the yoke from MORE. You'll pay too much. Napa can order direct from Spicer, much less expensive. I used the stock jeep hose from the frame and 2 right side brake hoses from an 8.8 and connected them with 3/16 hard line. I believe the yoke flange bolt is 12mmx1.5 and a good hardware store will have 10.9 grade metric bolts.

Back