• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does this look right??

Yucca-Man

NAXJA Member # 683
Something just seems a little weird about my tranny when I pulled it. Whattaya think??
aw4_1.jpg

Nope, does not look right at all. What did your motor mounts and tranny mount look like? That looks like it was caused by a broken motor mount letting the drivetrain "torque' under load, causing uneven stress on the bell. Dragsters do it alot for that very same reason.

Yep, definitely some housing metal missing from the starter side.
How'd ya do that.....? :explosion

Looked at the pic. again. How long has the bell been broken? Judging from the dullness of the missing areas' edge, I would say it had been broken for sometime. Must have made an interesting noise when it would rattle. You can try some of the rod material that uses a propane torch to "weld" the pieces back together, or just replace the tranny. Me, I would weld it back together, and go again.

Looks about right given your luck.

Ain't she a beaut? I knew there was a crack around the starter lobe but had no idea it extended up the side that far. Motor mounts are in very good shape, which kind of surprised me...

Here's another angle to get an idea of how much was missing. Judging by the shine on the top inch or so it looks like I finished it off today when pulling the tranny. I've got a new (to me) bellhousing that's going in and will try to run it with this transmission sinply because it bolts up to my t-case.

aw4_2.jpg

Edit: Just saw your comment Tom -thanks! If it weren't for bad luck some people just wouldn't have no luck at all!

OOPS, had a "dummy" moment- I forgot that the bell comes off on the AW-4 tranny. Just switch it and call it good. Allthough, you might want to go ahead and replace the front seal, since you have to pull the 'verter out anyway.

UHHHHHHHH.................
Looks ok to me.
scratch.gif

Just throw some JB WELD on it, shape it with a file and drill the needed holes and you should be O.K.
laughingsmiley.gif

That sucks, any idea what caused it?

To quote the line from "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles":

That'll buff right out!!!!

Good luck on the swap. That's a real unusual bummer of a failure there.

I hate to say it, but it wasn't anything nearly as intersting as the jump photo - as far as I can tell so far it was an imbalanced RE rear driveshaft that I neglected to properly troubleshoot for too long. I'll know more in a week or so.

Back