• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 vs Chry 8 1/4 29 spline

ZMfx

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry guys i searched for this, but could'nt find exactly what i was looking for

I have a 97 xj with a Chry 8.25 rear axle, the 29 spline model, not the 27. I know a guy who has a dana 44 from an 89 xj that he has rebuilt for sale which he'll give me a good deal on.
the axle has 3.54 gears, open carrier, and 10x2.5 drum brakes

So here's the ?... I know the dana 44 is 30 spline, has a larger ring, but that’s about it. How much stronger would the dana 44 be vs my current 8 1/4, significantly or just a little.. should i just save my money for the rockcrusher dana 60 that haunts my dreams?

specifically larger brakes?
axle housing diameter?
and is the pinion housing about the same length so i can use my current drive shaft?

Thanks, john

ZMfx said:
Sorry guys i searched for this, but could'nt find exactly what i was looking for

I have a 97 xj with a Chry 8.25 rear axle, the 29 spline model, not the 27. I know a guy who has a dana 44 from an 89 xj that he has rebuilt for sale which he'll give me a good deal on.
the axle has 3.54 gears, open carrier, and 10x2.5 drum brakes

So here's the ?... I know the dana 44 is 30 spline, has a larger ring, but that’s about it. How much stronger would the dana 44 be vs my current 8 1/4, significantly or just a little.. should i just save my money for the rockcrusher dana 60 that haunts my dreams?

specifically larger brakes?
axle housing diameter?
and is the pinion housing about the same length so i can use my current drive shaft?

Thanks, john

depends on what size tire youi are runnin ..locked or open..and if you dont mind changing a C clip axle on the trail :)
I myself wouldnt be afraid to run 37's on a D44 with chromo axles
I have a buddy who runs 37's on a 29 spline chromo axles($300 each side) but he is always worried about the skinny pedal

btw the resale value on a XJ D44 is great
sve the D60 for 39" tires otherwise youll be draggin the diff over everything

Last edited:
I have 33's right now.. 35's in the garage waiting to be put on or sold. As for locker, not yet but in the future. Just don’t feel like spending the money for a locker if I’m eventually going to replace the axles. I’m the type person who loves everything overdone. the stronger the better, build it tough and have fun while your wheelin..

Well, I have run D44s' under alot of things, and honestly, even with 35" tires on an "average" weight ( 3,500lbs) rig, the only things that I have ever broken were skinny pedal related (5,500 RPM clutch drop, that resulted in the pinion shearing off right at the end of the yoke, and I recieved the coveted dumba$$ of the week award for that one. I forgot to remove the INNER axle seal, so the bearings that supposed to be oiled by diff. lube, weren't. That was not the skinny pedals' fault-that was mine.). I say check your pinion angle, and let it rip. You can get so MANY different lockers, limited slips and gears for it, compared to the 8 1/4, it is ridiculous. ( not to mention bigger brakes, easy disc conversions, etc...)

Last edited:
Keep in mind, Superior has their Super 44 kit for the Dana 44 out of the XJ. That kit comes with 33 spline chromoly axles and either a Detroit or ARB. I went with the Detroit setup and will be going from 33" tires to 35's shortly. Should be a reliable setup with 35's.

I've run a 4.7L stroker w/D44 w/35's and a detroit for a lot of years and a lot of trails. Heck, I haven't even broken a stock axle. I carry a spare, so I guess that is why I've never broken an axle.

I have been running 35's on my 29 spline 8.25 for 2 years no problem, I do have a no-slip, I do carry a spare shaft. As for disc brakes the conversion is simple. I figured if I am going to spend to money on an axle its going to be a dana 60.....but why do that until I break the one I have.

Dana 35 non c-clip - 27 spline, 1.18" diameter shafts, 7.58" ring gear, 2.62" axle tube - used 84-89
Dana 35 c-clip - 27 spline, 1.18" diameter shafts, 7.58" ring gear, 2.62" axle tube - used 90-01
Chrysler 8.25 - 27 spline, 1.17" diameter shafts, 8.25" ring gear, 3" axle tube - used 91-96
Chrysler 8.25 - 29 spline, 1.21" diameter shafts, 8.25" ring gear, 3" axle tube - used 97-01
Dana 44 non c-clip - 30 spline, 1.31" diameter shafts, 8.5" ring gear, 2.75" axle tube - used 87-89 on some(not all) XJs equipped with towing package.

The only difference is 1 spline, dana 44's are non c-clip, and the axle tubes are smaller by a 1/4in on a 44. Thanks for the advice guys. I think i'm gonna say skrew the 44, and stick with my 8.25 for now. I'm just going to save for a 60, and throw some 4:10's in my current setup for better torque. I guess i'll just sell my 35's for now and buy a winch for my arb, that should make the jeep happy.

First,what about gears?Most will say 4.88's for 33's.The 8.25 only goes to 4.56,with 35's I'd say 5.13's minimum.Second,you didn't mention anything like disc brakes,the 44 big drum brakes are awsome(I gave up on installing the ZJ brakes I bought).
0603997-r1-052-24a.jpg

You can add disc brakes using parts off of a WJ, a late model Crown Vic (try using "search") or, if you go big pattern, CJ front discs,GM brackets and calipers (no parking brake, unless you use caddy/riviera calipers-I think those are junk, since the mech. for the parking brake likes to sieze.)

ZMfx said:
Dana 35 non c-clip - 27 spline, 1.18" diameter shafts, 7.58" ring gear, 2.62" axle tube - used 84-89
Dana 35 c-clip - 27 spline, 1.18" diameter shafts, 7.58" ring gear, 2.62" axle tube - used 90-01
Chrysler 8.25 - 27 spline, 1.17" diameter shafts, 8.25" ring gear, 3" axle tube - used 91-96
Chrysler 8.25 - 29 spline, 1.21" diameter shafts, 8.25" ring gear, 3" axle tube - used 97-01
Dana 44 non c-clip - 30 spline, 1.31" diameter shafts, 8.5" ring gear, 2.75" axle tube - used 87-89 on some(not all) XJs equipped with towing package.

The only difference is 1 spline, dana 44's are non c-clip, and the axle tubes are smaller by a 1/4in on a 44. Thanks for the advice guys. I think i'm gonna say skrew the 44, and stick with my 8.25 for now. I'm just going to save for a 60, and throw some 4:10's in my current setup for better torque. I guess i'll just sell my 35's for now and buy a winch for my arb, that should make the jeep happy.

Whoa there Tex, back up the train.

Take a look at the shaft diameters column, this is why the Dana 44 is a better axle.

I went with Dana 44. Mostly for the size, the fact that there are less reports of them being noisy with low gear ratios, and a FF kit is available for it depending on which Jeep sized housing you start with.

HTH

I am under the firm belief to run what ya got till it breaks, yes there are a couple people who break the 8.25, but I would say there are way more people who havn't broken it.

That was an ARB bull bar i was talking about buying a wench for. I saw the shaft diameters, only a tenth of an inch difference. Which i agree is a stronger setup. but not worth the time and money switching axles. If i'm going to put some time and money into a project its gonna be a dana 60. I'm not bashin 44, it’s a good axle and has many upgrades. If you install a 33 spline superior axle kit its a very strong setup. However the 1.5in dana 60 35 spline axle shaft is where my xj's destiny lies. one word "bombproof!" The 60 is a little expensive, heavy, and reduces some ground clearance. but thats where im headed whenever i have the money.

I look at it the other way; from Dana 44s the next logical step is Mogs. :D

Back