• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Painting new bumper

XJWheelie

NAXJA Forum User
I finally got around to installing a Ridgco bumper on my XJ and now I'm wondering about paint. Right now everything is primed and painted flat black, but I'm debating about painting over the bumper itself with either Herculiner or maybe Rubberized undercoating. Just looking for some comments from people that have tried either one of these options.

And yes, I did a search first, but didn't find what I was looking for.

Thanks,
Robert

I used the Dupli-Color bed liner on my lower rockers as well as bumpers. Stands up real well, even after 18 mos. on PNW weather. I had alot of primer on there too just to get a good seal which is the secret. It is about $8 a can here. I know rubberized under coating is cheaper but the final product is nice. I would go with a liner of some kind.

Here is a pic of the Dupli color liner that I used:
bumper5.jpg

i just 800 grit sanded it down and did 4 coats of rustoleum (flat black). i got the same protofab bumper, plus some frame tie ins

atx xj said:
i just 800 grit sanded it down and did 4 coats of rustoleum (flat black). i got the same protofab bumper, plus some frame tie ins

Did you get the pre-runner style or this one?

000_0024resize.jpg

prerunner style, non winch. i have a come along and im never gonna have the money for the winch, so i put a front hitch on as recovery point and worst comes to worst im gonna get a hitch mounted winch...its all good. heres how i did the hitch...and i have 2 KC's, not those procomps..

http://www.protofab4x4.com/pics/xjfrnt06.jpg

PS...i have those same frame tie in brackets that u have hangin there

I used to paint as a job..
first of all prepare the surface well.. sand it down well and clean the metal with some type of cleaner to get all the oil off of it "stuff on your fingers"

put at least 3 smooth coats of primer on it and remember not to get in a rush...

I used rustoleum semi gloss which made it match every other bumper on my jeep and its easy to touch up, If you really wheel its gonna get scratches. Ive had mine for about a year and a half and have re-painted it once, and re-painted my rock rails once also after a year.

Thanks everyone. I think that I'm going to go with the textured Rustoleum. It's definity an off-road playtoy, so I need to be able to touch it up from time to time, but I wanted some kind of textured finish. Outside of rubberized undercoating or something like Herculiner I didn't know that I could even do this. :clap:

Robert

another vote for good primer and rustoleum semi gloss

take your time and really let the paint dry.. if you can. Like paint it one saturday..let it site and cure up for the next week, then install that next weekend.

The more prepwork and time you take to do it the better it will be.

also grab some of those spray paint gun handle things that you clip on the spray paint, they make life a lot easier.

I recently put C-ROK bumpers on my XJ. Because of the prevalence of jumping rocks here in Arizona I took a less expensive way out when painting the bumpers. After sanding and wiping with acetone, I put on a couple of coats of cheap WalMart spray can primer followed by several coats of cheap WalMart spray can flat black. I think the cans are $0.98 each. The result looks really good and I don't mind scratches. Any damage can be easily and cheaply repaired and covered.

Back