• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Road hassles

Tucker

NAXJA Forum User
In the Lassen N. Forest, I've come across 2 road that have been blocked by rocks (in one case) and rubble (in the other).

Both roads:
are within 1/2 mi. of each other
start on Diamand Match land and end on Ntl. Forest land
branch off of the same forest service access road
terminate at the same creek
have been purposely altered to allow only motorcycle access

Neither road has been closed by any official body, gov't or private.

Last week the trails were clear (as clear as can be expected for a remote area). This week, large equipment has placed boulders at the head of one road, and graded a very large berm at the head of the other. The berm was graded such that an area between two trees was left accessible. The two trees are about three feet apart. The boulders are placed in staggered rows and not stacked, leaving 2-3 feet between them. The only large equipment in the area belongs to the logging company, who would not respond to my inquiries. The logging company is transient, hired by yet another logging firm who purportedly works for Diamond Match. The two local 4wd clubs were surprised to learn of the situation. There were a lot of motorcycle tracks in and out of the area but I didn't find any riders there that I could talk to.

I want to cause as little bad blood as possible but I will not be denied access to an area I've been frequenting since I was a kid. The head of the road is, admittedly, on private land and the owners may do as they wish with it. Diamond states that they have not, nor do they intend to, close any roads in the area.

I suspect that (and this is speculation only) either an m/c outfit paid the equipment operator to mod the roads, or the logging outfit has done it themselves.

It doesn't really matter, I intend to open the roads again this weekend. How do I do that without causing a turf battle?

If the blockage occurs on NF land I would inform Forest personel.

Back