• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

embarassed to ask but....

Biernuts

NAXJA Forum User
I'm considering having a local shop install a 3.5" RE lift kit for me. Anyone have experience with this?

While I do all the work on my stock 89 XJ, I'm a little apprehensive about installing a lift kit. My kids will be in the XJ with me so I don't want ANYTHING screwed up due to my lack o'knowledge.

I also do not have a garage...all my engine work is done outside, on a flat gravel area. My tools are in the shed get hauled out when I need to work...it sucks but it's the price I pay for living where I do.

I haven't started calling around yet but if they charge like any mechanic, I'm thinking 8hrs x $65.00 = $520.00!

65.00 an hour in CA - they charge 96.00 an hour where i work...

Follow the instructions that come with the kit - maybe have a wrenchfest at your house and entice friends to come over and help you out with pizza and beer?

It doesnt take all that long and i enjoyed it a lot.

are you a member of a local jeep club? if not, joint one and ask around - we take care of our own.

personaly - id put it on yourself.

a good torque wrench, grease gun, and time will get you done. you are just R+R'ing parts..

<<sarcasim>>
what could go wrong?

<//sarcasim>

I agree with XJ_ranger. I understand you have your kids to think about but it is not hard at all. I am not much of a wrencher but I ahve installed 5 TJ lifts and 2 XJ lifts. If I can do it, you can :laugh3: Get some PB blast and hit all the nuts and bolts the night before. It's an 89 and if you haven't touched the suspension it's gonna be fun.

Just take your time, read the instructions and you should be fine. Now if it was a long arm kit then I would say sure have a shop do it, but since it's a short arm 3.5" - you should do it yourself.

I am 20. Put my first lift on a few weeks ago. Like you I was worried, but couldnt afford to have someone put it on. All in all, with breaks and helping my freind with his xj i would say I spent around 5 hours putting it on. This was mostly by myself. With someone to help you it could be done in under 3. And its really simple and worth it to do because if you ever have any problems ( not that you will, RE is solid ) or upgrades to do down the line you will already know something! In my opinion set aside a 6 hours or so and go for it! Oh yeah ITS FUN TOO!

My brother an I did the lift install on his XJ and will be doing one on mine as soon as I can afford it. We slacked off big time and it only took us a day. His kids (my Niece and Nephews) and my brother will ride in it and as long as you follow the directions you will be fine. I understand the worry but ya got to be able to fix it if something goes wrong on the trail and if you put it in you will know what goes where and how. First hand knolage is beter than a tow.
batty53

where is canyon county?

XJ_ranger said:
where is canyon county?
Just North of Los Angeles...
Part of the Santa Clarita Valley. I'm up against Angeles National Forest (high desert) on 22 acres....the property is for sale!

We bought a house in Couer D'Alene, ID last month so as soon this property sells to a developer, we're outta here....

Im 17 years old and ive installed 3 XJ lift kits. It really is not that hard. Just take your time and follow the directions and its pretty hard to screw up.

I started life as a car guy, and I've lowered a few cars now with different setups, but I've never lifted anything. Wait, I lied, I lifted a 98 Grand Cherokee, forgot about that one. Its always a good time, with help or alone. Plus you get a good feeling knowing that you did it, and have an extra $500 in your pocket because of it.

Post a request for help in the SoCal Chapter.

An offering of pizza and drinks draws the locals like flies.

yeah - there are a ton of people in SoCal that will help out if they have spare time...

no problem.

shoot me a PM with more details on the property - my dad is looking for a few acres in CA...

Back