• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8" or 10" wheel width.

Roxtar

NAXJA Forum User
35-12.50X15 tires.
What size would you recommend for low air pressures?

I have 10" on 33x12.50's and Its scary to go past 17PSI, thats my limit, the tire is almost flat and bubbles over rocks at that PSI....I would recommend 8" so you can get down to around 10PSI air'd down

there's pros and cons to both

A pro, I have a wider wheel stance and It looks cool :laugh3:

A con, on a recent trail ride my club went on (most of the people had 15x8's with 31x10.50's), we went up an atv trail that ran along the side of a narrow mountain trail, I was 3rd in line and we had to turn around because I was sticking out so far that the ground was eroding from underneath my wide tires and I was slipping off the edge and had to be strapped to tree's so I didnt go off any further, scary! If I woulda have the 15x8's I pry woulda skim'd by like the rest but oh well....

8" ...

What's wrong with the TR beadlocks???

I have a 10'' wheel on my 32'' MTRs. I did this back when I had no idea what I was doing, and didnt know NAXJA existed. With a 11.5'' wide tire, and 10'' wheel, there is .75'' on each side of the tire. I rub the lip of the wheel on dirt walls and eveything else thats close. If I had a 8'' wheel, it would rub the tire and not the wheel. I have had 2 times where it has pushed dirt into the bead of the tire, and making it loose air.

So go with the 8''

XJ99 said:
A con, on a recent trail ride my club went on (most of the people had 15x8's with 31x10.50's), we went up an atv trail that ran along the side of a narrow mountain trail, I was 3rd in line and we had to turn around because I was sticking out so far that the ground was eroding from underneath my wide tires and I was slipping off the edge and had to be strapped to tree's so I didnt go off any further, scary! If I woulda have the 15x8's I pry woulda skim'd by like the rest but oh well....

i cant believe I didn't see this earlier. Thats the way to give offroaders a good name. Keep taking your jeep on ATV trails. Man the intelligence of some people.

Last edited:
You definitely should go with 8" rims. It only makes sense that when you are going to air down, two inches tighter on the side walls of the tires is going to hold the tire better allowing you to air down further, and get better grip. It is also nice to get that side wall out away from the rim to prevent a lot of damage to your rims when in rocks. :thumbup:

i made the mistake of getting 10s with 35" MTRs (thought I was going with some wider swampers when I bought the wheels) and they are really banged up. I still have never lost a bead though, I air down to 7-8 on rocks and 4 in the snow.

jrsxj98 said:
i cant believe I didn't see this earlier. Thats the way to give offroaders a good name. Keep taking your jeep on ATV trails. Man the intelligence of some people.

first off, It was a stocker/less modified run my DE Jeep club put on at George Washington National Forest, the trail was for Jeeps or ATV's but they rate their trails by narrowness and they rated It an ATV trail, but the Park Ranger said any stock Jeep could make It down the trails fine so we took a shot at It, and 2nd I wasnt leading It, I Just followed, It was one of our clubs longer standing members and Im sure he knew what he was doin,

Watch the language on the open boards.
-OT

Last edited by a moderator:
I would go with a 10" just to be different.

:laugh3:

Jes said:
Get a spare that matches your existing set of wheels.
You'll thank yourself in the long run. ;)
I seriously thought about that. It's just hard to justify spending $265 on a spare wheel.

kid4lyf said:
I seriously thought about that. It's just hard to justify spending $265 on a spare wheel.

It won't be a "spare wheel" when you're using it. ;)
Personally, I like having a good matching fifth wheel so that when I cut a tire I can install it and just leave it on. No need to swap it out later down the road, maybe I'm just lazy?

Back