• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check engine light?

DCB

NAXJA Forum User
I was taking my girls to school yesterday morning and I looked down and my check engine light was on. All gauges looked good so I checked my oil level and it was good. I drove about 80mi. yesterday with the light on..... any ideas what it could be?
Thanks for the help!

It has to be asked: year? If it is 96+ take it to an autozone or something to get the codes pulled.

his rig is 01. Check engine light is a SENSOR issue more than likely...

like the other guy said...go get the codes pulld for free at autozone...and go from there.

Just a quick check but ensure the gas cap is tight. Not sure on Jeeps but some of the newer fuel injected systems require +/-pressure in the tank. If the cap is loose/gone that might do it. Had a Saturn do that and it took forever to figure out the gas cap needed and extra turn.

Pull a battery cable off for 10 min and let the computer reset. The light will go out. If it comes back on after driving for a while go get it checked out. 9 out of 10 times the problem that causes a code condition is temporary. (gas cap, rough idle, etc). You can also cycle the key on and off 50 times to reset the code. Its probably no big deal.

Well here is the deal.
It is under warranty so I took it in to the shop.... here is what they found.
The Evap. purge solenoid installed backwards (vac lines reversed).
They have now idea how it happened or why it took so long for the light to come on... but all is well. They gave me a Honda Civic as a loaner ... wow I missed my Jeep.!!!

Peace and thanks

Back