• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding grease nipples to control arms

Chancer

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone done this? I've got the poly bushings and have finally got round to buying some grease nipples and a tap & die set so that I can make a low-hassle lubrication point to stop them squeaking.

Does anyone know if you need to add more metal to the outside surface of the control arm, so that the internal thread of the nipple doesn't dig into the bushing, or will it be sufficient to drill into the bushing slightly and just screw it in? Is it also possible to only put the nipple in to halfway down the thread, thereby not digging into the bushing that way?

The suspension's totally stock, and all I'm looking to do is provide a solution for the forseeable future, since it's looking less and less likely I'll ever afford a decent longarm suspension lift.

I did it, but I have Tomken arms, and there is a space between the bushing halfs so it worked great. I would not worry about the nipple digging into the bushing, but where the grease is gonna go once it gets in. You need to make sure it will get between the bushing and the bolt.

HTH

Rev

Personnaly I would not do it to your set-up. The bushing will move a little during use, and any hole you drill in the bushing will move slightly and no longer be in place to channel the grease. You maybe could cut the bushing in half, trim a little off the middle and reinstall, that would create a channel for the grease.
BUT
Thats a big maybe.

Rev

Hmm. Thanks for that. It's a Daystar kit, but it's 9 months since I installed it, so can't remember whether it's one or two piece. I suspect one. Short of taking them out every few months and regreasing, or spending more cash and going back to rubber, can anyone suggest another way of sorting this out?

Back