• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question for all those with overhead consoles

MAP

NAXJA Forum User
I have an overhead console that I purchased and I'm trying to figure out if any Cherokees from the early 90s came with these. I was told it was for newer XJs but I think I was misled.
I wanted to put it on my 99 but I'm not installing something that came from a different vehicle.

Could those of you with overhead consoles let me know if yours has these Left & Right Vent switches?

If not, have you seen other Chrysler vehicles that have these?
I'm tempted to take this thing to the dealer to find out what vehicle it came from.

switches
RightLeftVentSwitches.jpg

Console pic
console.jpg

I found the mother of all XJ parts lists while doing a search. The site I found has the Mopar/Chrysler parts lists for all XJs going back to 1984. You guys should check this out. By looking at these parts lists I pretty much verified that this console did not come from an XJ.

http://www.xjjeeps.com/tech_reference.asp?section=2&ID=0

I just want feedback from the guys here to see if there are any exceptions. Considering people from all over the country view this site, this should be an excellent sampling.

Thank you all in advance.

MAP

That is indeed a minivan console.
http://www.paceenterprises.us/consolephotos.html
These are some pics of a late model XJ console (lousy but you get the idea).
Older XJ consoles will most likely have an "eye" in the front by the windshield.
The newer ones will have "wings" near the front (like the one you currently have).
HTH
Nathan

XJ overhead consoles did not come with thoese swiches. I'm certain for 97-01. Like everyone else said it is for a dodge. Not sure it will work in a cherokee. I would check with the jeep dealer.
Alex

I had a '95 Dodge Caravan and it had that exact overhead console. The vent switches controlled electric motors in the rear to swing out the rearmost side windows.

Mark

my 91 came with a console also. the unit has map lights for front and back seats and the compass/thermometer set up and a eyeglass storage area too. my guess is it is the van unit you have there.

There was a massive thread on ILJ awhile back with overhead console swaps; the mid-90s Caravan consoles are the same dimensions as the 97-01 XJ consoles and are MUCH cheaper at the junkyards...

Guys, thank you all for your replies.
It appears that this thing was from a minivan.

Yucca-Man, what is ILJ?

Beware of overhead consoles that you see on ebay. Make sure they are not from Chrysler minivans.

This thing was supposed to be in good condition but it looks pretty old and somewhat beat up. I wonder if it was removed from a junk yard.

From the pictures in the ad you could not make out that it had those vent switches. The ad described this thing as being for a 97-01 Cherokee and didn't mention that it was actually from a minivan. Otherwise I wouldn't have touched the thing.

I didn't get that surprise until I received it.

MAP

MAP said:
This thing was supposed to be in good condition but it looks pretty old and somewhat beat up. I wonder if it was removed from a junk yard.

From the pictures in the ad you could not make out that it had those vent switches. The ad described this thing as being for a 97-01 Cherokee and didn't mention that it was actually from a minivan. Otherwise I wouldn't have touched the thing.

Sure it was from a junkyard. That's where used car parts usually come from. I can't imagine a mommy driving her Caravan to the soccer fields with a big hole in the headliner because she decided to sell the overhead console!! :)

As for describing it as an XJ console... we're already been told that they "look almost the same, and XJ ones cost a lot more"... the seller acted accordingly!

I'd presume it should generally work... but I'd be worried about calibration of the trip computer and such. No idea how that stuff works!

Den

DenLip said:
Sure it was from a junkyard. That's where used car parts usually come from. I can't imagine a mommy driving her Caravan to the soccer fields with a big hole in the headliner because she decided to sell the overhead console!! :)

As for describing it as an XJ console... we're already been told that they "look almost the same, and XJ ones cost a lot more"... the seller acted accordingly!

I'd presume it should generally work... but I'd be worried about calibration of the trip computer and such. No idea how that stuff works!

Den

If the overhead console were removed, there would leave one hole... where the dome lamp would go.. Not a huge long hole across the roof..

Now they may look like an XJ console, BUT an XJ console would only be 4-8 years old. A console from a 91-95 minivan would be up to 14 years old and would likely look like crap if it's that old.

Now you say that we have been told that they "look almost the same, and XJ ones cost a lot more". This is the first time I've seen this mentioned on this forum. I did a search and can't find this info anywhere other than in this thread. Thanks for the link Yucca-Man.

The ad was misleading.

MAP

Back