• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf pack build-up help

XJ99

NAXJA Forum User
so my buddy passed on some old springs free of charge, claims their 4" but doesnt know the brand, they say TM on them so Im guessing their Trail master or Tomken, who both sell 4" leaf packs...Their in decent shape besides the bottom short helper spring on both packs is cracked and broken off now...do I really need those anyway? Anyway he gave me these and 1.5" shackles, I think Im gonna build these up and throw them on later down the road for a bigger Lift...pics below...

Now another question, here are my current leaf packs, oem with rough country fully add-a-leaf to give 3" of Lift in the rear, I didnt Install the Lift so Im not sure which one is the add-a-leaf? Im guessing the 3rd one down from the top, the thick one is the add leaf?

My plan is to take the 3-4" full pack add my 2-3" add-a-leaf to get around 5-6" of Lift from the leaf pack, then add the 1.5" shackle to get around 6.5-8" of Lift in the rear...What ya think am I crazy or am I crazy, do these calculations look right? Your thoughts please of what you think I will net in the rear building this pack up with the 1.5" shackle?

XJ99 said:
What ya think am I crazy or am I crazy?

Not too crazy...

Check these two threads out for an idea on how crazy you can get mixing and matching your own packs...

leafpacks01.jpg

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40971&highlight=barrio+leaf

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=58187&highlight=barrio+leaf

yea I would go with the 3rd one down and then add in your bottom overload leaf and you should be close,,
If it isnt enough I would add on the second leaf in the OEM pack and see what happens ..
its really a trial and error type deal.

Im runnin a extra set of XJ leaves and a 1.5 shackle for about 4.5" and I have a set of S10 leaves Im gonna add in the future to get to about 6.5"

When you take apart the pack with the aal in it the aal will be the one with the most flex in it.

so I finally got these leaf packs in my hands and Inspected them, they definatley need some cleaning up (sanding and rustoleum), and the bushings need to be re-greased...

my two questions are....
1. how do I get that center bolt out of the leaf packs, the one holding It together? there is no nut on the top?
2. now both of those bottom, short helper leafs are broken off, do I need to replace these or can I still use the springs without them? Thanks

As for removing the center pin, vise-grip on the round end and a socket on the nut. You will most likely break the bolt so then you get the center punch and hammer out. Make sure you have some C-Clamps on the leaf pack before you try to remove the center pin or else when the bolt breaks the springs will fly apart.

XJ99 said:
so I finally got these leaf packs in my hands and Inspected them, they definatley need some cleaning up (sanding and rustoleum), and the bushings need to be re-greased...

my two questions are....
1. how do I get that center bolt out of the leaf packs, the one holding It together? there is no nut on the top?
2. now both of those bottom, short helper leafs are broken off, do I need to replace these or can I still use the springs without them? Thanks

For paint, if you live near a farm implement store, see if they stock graphite slip paint. It will reduce the friction between leaves.

Replace the bottom cracked pack in the TM leaves with your stock bottom leaf.

Back