• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

vibration

jelrod

NAXJA Forum User
Took the xj on vacation last week, putting 1000 to 1100miles on it. The trip was great no problems at all. The jeep sat for three days after we got back and when I went to drive it to work yesterday morning it has a vibration. It starts at about 25mph it gets really bad at 35 calms down a bit at around 40 and comes back at 60, haven't gone over 65 since it started. I only have the vibes when my foot is on the gas, let off the gas and it goes away. I've had the xj for over a year now and this is the first real problem I've had. I do have a slight rear main leak (one or two drops on the ground every 2 or 3 days). Not sure if that could be affecting the clutch, it is not slipping. I'm going to try driving without the front drive shaft, since it feels like its coming from the front end. PB Blaster is soaking in as I type. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

93' xj
ax-15
3" lift
31x10.50 procomp mud terrains

No wheeling lately and no wrecks. I did lock her down going about 50 or so to avoid t-boning some a$$-clown that pulled out in front of me.

Forgot to put some info in the last post.

d30 front
c8.25 rear

sounds like wheel weights to me

any mud on the rims?

take your tires and get them balanced...

If you locked it down hard maybe the tires are flat spotted a bit from the lock up.
Try rotating them see what happens or if ya have a buddy the a jeep swap tires around see if it goes away.

I locked it down around 250miles into the trip I mentioned. Wheel weights were the first thing I looked at and they are all fine and no mud either. The tires are not flat spotted from what I can tell by rubbing my hand over each tire. The weird thing about it is that it didn't start the vibes until the next drive after the trip.

My guess is that since you are feeling it under load only it has to be driveline...engine, trans, or TC mount, though it could be a rear shaft and that was the straw that made a joint or yoke call it a day.

Most likely alignment. Search on here there is a link for alignment process or just pay to have balanced and aligned.

On the drive to work this morning I noticed a clicking and squeaking when letting the clutch out in 1st from a dead stop. Any ideas???

jelrod said:
12000+ of us here and we're all stumped?

most would be too busy to read through a post titled: "vibration" in the modified tech forum.

diagnosis:

Vibration - just about anything
only when giving it gas - driveline is more likely
only at certain speeds --> hey, shift when it vibrates: worse, better, same?

how about opening the hood and giving it some gas. Does the engine shake around more than normal? motor mounts?

jelrod said:
On the drive to work this morning I noticed a clicking and squeaking when letting the clutch out in 1st from a dead stop. Any ideas???

I am putting my money on a bad rear u joint. Clicking,vibrating, only under load are the tell tale signs of a U joint getting ready to explode.

jeepme said:
I am putting my money on a bad rear u joint. Clicking,vibrating, only under load are the tell tale signs of a U joint getting ready to explode.

nobody mentioned a U-Joint til jeepme .. ya might've bent the drive line, puttin it at an odd angle (vibes at different speeds n such)

Thanks for for the replys. I grabbed hold of the rear shaft and the ujoint at the pinion will move 1/2" in any direction. I've never changed one, wish me luck!!

alignment will cause vibration. happened on mine. i can induce vibes strictly by adjusting toe in. Never say never.

make sure you have a vice if your changing u-joints. that and the correct size socket to push the caps through.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!! Replaced the u-joint and it's back to normal. The old one was shot. The needle bearings in one of the caps were completly gone, nothing was in there but dust. Thanks for all the help.

Jason

Back